Snails?

Bugsy

Yesterday I noticed a small thing on the side of my betta's tank, after a closer look I realised it was a tiny snail, only thing is I haven't brought snails at all so I'm pursuming the eggs must have been on the live plant(s) I bought. Should I get rid of them or are they ok? I can see 3 now all on the side of the glass, should I just leave them? or will they cause trouble :P

yes they're defanatly snails, but they're babies by the looks of it, one was going down the side of the tank and seemed pretty fast hehe

Oh, they also have something similar to a swim bladder I think (not sure about this, I'm sure someone smarter will explain it). I've seen them sink and float pretty quickly. But when they're crawling around they're pretty slow.

snails are cool! watch they dont get eaten cause there only little guys now! my bettas always kill the snails i buy!

I can't get bought snails to stay alive either although I've never seen a betta eat even a baby one. Ned, you need the free snails that come attached to plants :P

Snails are ok, as long as you don't end up with a population explosion... which is easy if they get fed enough, probably not such an issue with Betta's though, I'd imagine they're easier to feed 'what they need' compared to a community of tropicals, etc...

On a couple of forums I'm in people are always looking for ways to get rid of snails - especially in planted tanks if they're eating the plants - betta's are sometimes recommended, but not all of 'em will eat snails, unfortunately... if you've got a good snail eating betta, I bet you could hire it out though... lol

I have one Mystery snail in my tank at work, an intentional purchase, as they don't breed on their own, whereas lots of the others can, and do, switch sex to fertilise their own eggs... he's good value, too, because he only eats dead or decaying plant material, so keeps the plants in good condition...

Mystery snails and Apple snails are the same thing, right? Great big yellow things?

That's actually a vague misnomer - there IS a difference between the two, but many stores don't differentiate... between the various things called mystery snails, one variety doesn't eat plants... the others do... none of 'em breed on their own though - and they all go to the surface to take in air, too... You can get different colours, apparently, but most mystery snails are yellow...

Incidentally, they're good to have in a breeding tank, because they churn out infusoria that will feed the babies when they hatch...

Cheers,

Stuart

i started out with 6 apple snails (yellow) and they've produced close to a thousand offspring (brown, so i'm guessing water is a factor in colour) in 2 years :);; that said, i've got no more than 50 or 60 atm, plenty of snails for barracks and tanks and to give away! and to feed the bettas since they'll snack on the smaller snails LOL

Percy doesn't seem to be bothered by them xD come to think of it they may have been eating one of the plants that I had because it was going brown and dying so I took it out mabe thats why they've suddenly appeared? I haven't seen any more than 3 so far, hopefully I wont get too many!

Archived