Help my fish isn't eating

SanSuprimo

I have a male betta and i have always feed my fish floating pellet food and never had a problem. But i've noticed that one of my fish isnt eating. Has anyone got any suggestions? should i try to give him some other type of food? any help would be greatly appreciated.

maybe he just isnt hungry, how long has this been going on for? you could try other food if you have some on hand! how much are you feeding them? eg, how many pellets how many times a day?

You could try some live food like adult brineshrimp. If he won't eat something that's moving he might be sick. What sort of tank is he in? Is he in a tank on his own? Or in a community tank? If he's in a community tank, what other fish do you have in there? Do you have filtration? Heating?

ok well i feed them 3 pellets at a time and two times daily. He hasn't eaten anything for about 4 days now and im starting to get a little worried. He is a fairly new fish i've had him for about a month. He is in a tank that is approx 30 cm long by 17 cm he is in there on his own and there is no filter but he has got a heater.

How often do you perform water changes? How much water do you change each time? What else is in that tank? Gravel? Live plants? Decorations? Four days is a bit long to be fussy about food IMO especially if he was happy eating those pellets before. Any chance of a pic? Have there been any physical changes to him? Are his fins clamped? Has his colour changed? Has his body shape changed? Looking at him from above, are his scales sticking out? Is he breathing faster than normal? Have there been any behavioural changes, eg. swimming in a funny way, not swimming at all, hiding, anything that is not his usual behaviour? If you can get to the shops before they shut today, buy some Melafix if you haven't already got some. It is sometimes sold as a bundle with Pimafix. Get both if you can afford it. But don't use either just yet. We haven't determined that he is definitely sick. He may simply be unhappy with his water. Get the Melafix no matter what you think the problem is. It's good to have on hand, just like bandaids.

ok well in his tank there is gravel and 2 little plastic trees. i noticed that he has got a little bump just above his mouth but didnt think anything of it. He hasn't changed colour and he is behaving normally. I usually change about 25% of his water at a time. About 1 quarter of his tank. I do water changes about every 4-5 days. I noticed that today when i last feed him he ate 1 pellet so that is a start i will keep a close eye on him though. Its just strange because nothing has been changed and his behaviour hasn't changed, just the eating part.

See if you can perk him up by showing him a mirror. I don't think you should medicate just yet. Some live or frozen food might be worth a try. Or a different type of pellet. Water changes sound fine. You're dechlorinating the water, right? And removing any uneaten pellets? He might just be bored of that food.

I had this happen to me once. I had a fish (CJ my 1st fishy) who was eating the same thing for over a year with no trouble. Then one day he started refusing to eat the pellets. I kept offering them to him but nope didn't want them. Apart from that everything else was normal, he wasn't sick, his behaviour didn't change. Just the eating or refusing to lol.

This went on for about a month before I finally decided "maybe he's just sick of the pellets?" I went out and bought some frozen bloodworms....

Of course as soon as I tried those he started eating again!

Sometimes they really are just fussy, I'd be trying to get some different varieties of food. Try him on something else and he might decide to eat that. After all of you had nothing but the same food to eat every meal, every day all your life you'd get bored and refuse to eat it too!

Nowadays I have heaps of different foods that I rotate, pellet, flake, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms etc. not only is it a better variety and keeps it more interesting for the fishies it also provides a more well rounded nutrition for them as well :)

good luck!

yes i am dechlorinating the water and removin uneaten pellets. Im off to the pet shop tomorrow to see if they have some different food that is suitable for them. He ate anotha pellet today so at least hes eating 1. its an improvment.

id go for freeze dried blood worms over frozen cause its a bit of a fuss if your freezer is down stairs and your fish are up stairs or something lol... even some live food like brine shrimp are great.

Okey Dokey

I went to the pet shop this morning and brought some Melafix. and i'm just wondering if i use it how much to use and what does it do?

I also brought some Frozen Brine Shrimp (aqua one brand) and there is 28 little squares of it. I have got 6 males and i was wondering how much do you feed 1 fish?

Melafix is good for assisting with healing injuries and for mild infections. There doesn't seem to be a reason to medicate him yet. But when you do have to use it, the dosage rate is on the bottle.

With 6 males, I would cut one of the squares in half to start off with. You can thaw it out in a cup with a bit of tank water. Then give a little to each fish to see how well they like it and how much of it they will eat at a time. Or rather than thaw it out, another way is to wiggle a corner of the square into each tank so that a few of the BS fall off. I don't know about re-freezing the excess though. I generally only remove the amount that my fish will eat from the freezer.

Archived