What do I use and How?

I'm getting stock brought in from OS for me by JL. It seems the barracks won't be ready at all. so I have to make other arrangements.

I have to keep them from seeing each other right? I have to use Jupiter Jars which are 2ltr round plastic with screw on lids. What is the best thing to block their view of each other and any suggestions on how to attach it?

My fish are in beanie boxes (they use to be in big coffee jars) and I use a simple piece of copy paper. I know that won't work with a barracks but if you're going to keep them in jars until the barracks is ready just wedge some paper between the jars

Jupiter Jars are made out of food grade plastic and are just over 7 inches high and are 5 inches in diameter. We bought them from a plastics place near the Adelaide Entertainment Centre I think.

The set up is basic but as a temporary meansure should be fine. Like with the 30" tank I'll have the jars with the imported fish sitting in an aquarium (but out in the fish room/shed) that has aged water in it and an air stone and heater. The air con will be set to 24 by then also which will keep the room warm.

Actually I might be able to skip the tank and rely on the air con to keep them warm but we'll see what happens.

Not really. Our power bill about trippled to over 1k per bill. It forced us to turn the power off to the shed (seperate switch on the power board). The LFS suggested heating the room rather than the tanks was more cost thrifty. So now I'll only have to have heaters in the spawning tanks since they are at a higher temperature

If you work it out, tank heating takes up far less power than you'd imagine. We worked it out once, and the 4' tank on my loungeroom costs about 20-50c a week to heat. The lights and filters on the other hand, they suck power.

I was running 2 4ft, 2 3ft, 4 2ft and 4 divided 2ft (55w heater in each side) plus air pumps, lighting and such. After the we switched off the shed the power bills dropped immediately and as some tanks inside got emptied the bill dropped further. So we know the shed was taking a lot to run.

Which is also why I want to push though as many spawns over late Spring to early Autumn that I can so I can make the most of it and get something I can sell ASAP

Archived