Balloon Ram

Beano

Ok, so I did bring a fish home yesterday, just not a betta. I got a baby balloon ram, he's so cute! Right now he's in my 20L with the betta girls. They actually seem to be getting along fine. They don't even avoid each other. At first the yellow girl (boss of the tank) flared at him a little, but now she's gotten over it.

p5150037mz7.jpg

This one is to show the blue colour on him. It's blurry because I was using supermacro mode and you can't use the flash in supermacro so exposure time is long, and this guy doesn't stop swimming:

p5150046aq9.jpg

Aint he cute? They picked out one with ragged fins, hate that, but nothing that shouldn't heal.

they're so cute - you should have seen them all at the LFS. They were all biffing over "their" space! It was really funny! They sort of swim toward each other at full speed, like they're playing chicken! I only bought one because I wasn't sure how they would go with female fighters, but I might get another one to go with him... just so he doesn't look like such a nigel in the tank. Although if he's going to get bigger maybe I should just wait...

Seems to be - at first he was a bit shy of me, but now he's coming to the front begging, chewing stuff off the driftwood, digging in the sand! He's coloured up a bit too. He's still a juvie, so I expect some more blue to show up when he's bigger.

He hangs by himself, but isn't phased or scared when the females are around, and they don't care that he's there. It's really good, I was worried it might not work out, but it seems to be going well!

When you say happy as a regular ram, do you mean, a normal ram, or do you mean any ram that isn't in a tank with female bettas? I haven't kept rams before, nor any cichlids other than my oscar, so I don't really know how happy a normal ram is. I hope his life isn't shortened because he's a balloon though. I notice some of those freaky short goldfish seem to have shortened lifespans.

well the balloon rams don't really seem all that ballooned. They are short, but they aren't fat and pudgy like balloon mollies. He's quite sleak like a discus. Moves a bit like a discus too, in short bursts. He's great!

Archived