Need some ideas for substrate & plants thx :)

I'm about to set up another tank.

What I've got in mind is to purchase these lights from e-bay (or is there anybody who have some 2nd hand unwanted lights for sale???) also I'm still working out what to use for the substrate.

I want to keep it as economic as possible. I'm still deciding between these options:

1. Shiny black gravel (been using these for my current tank, really like them because they're shiny. They're sold for $25.95 for 6kg at the LFS)

2. Seachem Flourite 7Kg- been told they are good, but I'm not really sure if I can just plan them in on their own... never used anything like these before. ($38.50 + shipping $8.80 on that site, going to shop around and see if any LFS has them cheaper.)

3. Pool Filter Sand. Been reading on many forums and several people have said they're really good and really cheap... anyone had any experience with these??

4. Mixture of reddest soil with gravel. Not sure about pricing tho. Other recommandations?

Ultimately, I really would want my tank to have a grass-effect at the bottom of the tank, but I've been told plants like hairgrass require a lot of lights. And I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the java moss to grow it grass like?!

Anyone can recommand me what I can do??

I don't like hairgrass, it's messy. It has to be trimmed regularly and it also sheds regularly and the trimmings and sheddings go all over the place and you need a really fine net to try and catch them. I like the look of dwarf chain swords for the lawn effect but they're quite expensive. I recently bought some online for $1.50 each. I ordered 10 and thought I was getting 10 small pots. But I got 10 small plants! I've been nursing them for a couple of months now and I think each one has put out 2 new leaves. Whoopeedoo!

When java moss is grown in reasonable light and is trimmed regularly it can look really great. For a lawn effect, albeit a slightly bulbous one, what I'm doing now is growing them on small pebbles (a bit larger than a 50cent piece). I just tied the java moss on to the pebbles with dark thread. Once they've covered the pebble I think they'll look pretty good. It helps if you tie on a decent amount of java moss to start off with. Gets there much quicker.

As for substrate it couldn't be much cheaper than the Diana Walstead way ie pottting mix with gravel on top. Have a look at this thread

I used some coarse river sand and small pebbles I poached from my 4' tank over a layer of potting mix in my recently set up 2' tank. That worked really well.

FOr the java moss, you could cut gutter guard to size, spread the java moss over it, stitch it in place with fishing line and weigh it down until the moss anchors itself to the gravel. You could even glue flat pebbles to the underside of the gutter guard and push them down into the gravel, to get it to anchor down close to the substrate.

You could also try riccia (or glosso - legal here?) but it needs a LOT of light unless you're just letting it float.

I tried tying riccia to a pebble with fishing line once. It took ages to look good. Then after a few weeks it started to break away from the fishing line. It was as if the bits that were anchored just broke or tore or rotted away and the rest of it just floated back to the surface, leaving the naked pebble with fishing line still wound round it.

I saw some submerged riccia growing in a display tank in a LFS recently. It was amazing. You couldn't really tell what it was anchored to. The strands were long. And it seemed a lot tougher and thicker than my floating riccia at home. All that expensive lighting and fertilisation I suppose.

Sand can lead to diatom algae as they are mostly made of silicates (not hard to clean just annoying when they cover the glas), red soil and gravel would be good, you'll have to find somewhere local that has laterite deposits to know exactly what your digging up, otherwise there are dupla brands avaliable.

Glosso is a native and readily avaliable online, however would do best with co2 enrichment and ferts.

Ive been having good results with Elatine gratioloides which forms a good carpet (however doesnt look like grass)

microsword, Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, looks grass-ish pretty readily avaliable.

Have a look through plantgeek.com's plant guide, and if you select "aquascape placement" then "foreground" itll produce a list of plants for you.

I love that plantgeek.com site. Thanks Daniel!!

shooshoo, thanks for the site, I don't think I'd need the shipping thing, their shop is only a 15min. drive from my house! The Aquaclay Ground looks pretty good, anyone used it before?

Archived