Snails Breakout

lady0421

I'm having a snail breakout in my tank - I ended up having to empty it inside out and have to start the whole WC again :P

My BF's tank is also going through the same thing, they're little snails that breeds extremely fast... he have like hundreds in his tank!! :P

We tried using pumkin to attract the snails and clean them out - but there's way too many, they breed to quickly... :P

Any suggestion as to where they might have come from? Or How can we get rid of them forever :P

I'll try to get a picture if I can... but I really don't like these snails...

small and dark coloured? those would be pond snails :P usually come in with plants or gravel. they don't really do any harm and the fish eat the smaller snails, so i generally leave them alone (way too hard to get rid of them all anyway).

you could always try getting your hands on some snail-rid i guess (dunno how it'd go in a tank full fo fish, you'd have to check it's instructions for info about that), you can normally get it from any LFS.

Sounds like them, some have pointy shell and some have round shells. If they stop breeding then I don't mind them in the tank... but atm, they're dominating the tank! Kinda scary.

I wasn't keen on getting the snail-rid chemicals, but I might have to reconsider now :P

hi lady0421 the snails have probablly hiched a ride with some plants youve bought or maybe even a fish youve obtained the best method imo is a clown loach small ones are better i have found these fantastic for controlling ramshorns and pondsnails and small mystery snails if you have trumpet snails good luck in getting rid of them

Ray

Hey Ray, thanks for your reply!

The snails in my tank were probably the ramshorns, but I cleaned out my tank completely.

Sadly, my BF's tank has been invaded by trumpet snails!! They literatelly multiply in quantity!!

We were told by the LFS that clown loach are prone to white spots, but the population size of the nasty trumpet snails is weighting too much on my plate and I may have to resolve with a clown loach or two :blink:

I'll try to get a shot of the snails during night time, it's kinda scary...

with the trumpet snails dont waste your money on a clown loach i have found them not all that affective on these snails but that might be me

if they are in the gravel you will never get rid of them i have heard of people who have totally striped and cleaned there tanks left the gravel outside for a period of time and when they have reused it the snails have returned they are good at surviving in all conditions

also you may want to look at how much you are feeding as trumpet snails generaly increase there population if overfeeding occurs ? also be carful with using nets from one tank to another as you may find them in all tanks in time and genarally its to late

you could try one of the snail killers available to get rid of them but i would remove all fish and use at a stronger dose than required and would not use the tank for some time untill sure it is safe to use several water changes and make sure your filters have not been affected if there are any plants in the tank throw them out do not try to save them or re use them and goodluck

Ray

*grin*

Thanks Ray, ty for the advice!!!

Okay, I'm planning to remove the fish and bake the gravel in the oven then maybe use a strong dose of snail-rid solution to run the tank for a few days.

Probably have to somehow super-clean all the equipment as well!!

BBQ...

That's just what I would do if I had an option. Maybe your gravel doesn't smell as fishy and gross as mine (well the stuff in my oscar tank anyway), but I think if you heat it up you might find it stinky...

Before you go the whole overhaul take a look at this and see if you've got a match. If it's not these guys then it's probably something easier to control - if it is these guys I wouldn't mind getting a few from you (for educational purposes) before you cook them :).

Good luck :).

Hi Peter, the one in my tank is not the one in the thread, but the snails in my BF's tank... you've got a match!!! So the question is, how many hundreds do you want :) And what size, we have tiny tiny ones to big ones up to 2cm.

If only I'm talented enough, I wouldn't mind making one of those awesome clips and upload it to youtube, with funky music and heaps of shots of how those ugly snails multiply itself :)

With tank #1 (my tank), I threw away all the gravel & plants & filter, and went and bought new ones. Fill the tank up with water and overdose Snail Away in it - soak decorations and net in it for a few days.

Tank #2 (BF's tank), still has plenty of trumpet snails and 3 fish +1 eel - we're just waiting for the right time to give that damn tank a good clean - bake snail-gravel and dose it with Snail Away too.

edit to add: I think I'll get a picture of these ugly monsters tomorrow after work~

hey Beano there are a lot of plant people out there who say they are good for planted tanks as they move through the substrate and stop it from compacting and also help release any gas build up in the substrate

I personally dont like something i cant control. In my last tank when i emptied the water the gravel become alive on top when the water dropped below the gravel im talking thousands of the things this was less than a week after i had first noticed them in the tank although they had to have been there for some time

since then i have had a new tank and another lot of have got into my tank most likely through plants they get caught in my little power heads they have managed to travell through my sump system and slow down my return pipe because they get stuck in the return pipe

i personally like having snails in my tank and they are kept in controll with loaches and i often add extra from my ponds outdoors (pond and ramshorn ) for my fish to feed on but when the snail burrows into a very deep substrate such as mine there is no controlling them i would love to be able to take out everthing and boil it but on 8x2x2 with a soil substrate this is not possible

lady0421 if you are able to cook your gravel give it a try but make sure you clean everything properly good luck i hope it works

PeterJ if your really looking for some i could try to get some although it can be a little difficult in my tank

Ray

Here are a few shots of those nasty things:

sany0117xw0.jpg

sany0116ra7.jpg

sany0123tm4.jpg

sany0118ym6.jpg

sany0121jt1.jpg

Hey pritch33, you're so right, these things are impossible to control, they multiply themselves like there's no tomorrow!!

I am definately going to use a BBQ stove thing to give them a good cook for at least a few hours and see how things go. Will keep you updated.

PeterJ, are these snails what you're looking for??

Yup - if it's not too much trouble to I'd like to get some to see how they go with my mulm build up in the outdoor tubs. Are you ever in the city during the week? If you are I could shout you a coffee as a trade :P. Thanks heaps for the offer Ray, but I'll see how I go getting hold of some locally first.

Archived