Foam Under Tank

Phil

For a 3' it's a good idea to use some, though I've had a couple of stands where I had no problems without it. If there's any uneveness in the surface under the tank the water can crack the glass - styrofoam compresses and spreads the load so this won't happen. I'm guessing the glass is 5mm (I think that's standard for 3' ?..) but if it's thicker and the surface is level styrofoam is less important but still a good idea. It can also make life a lot easier for lifting when you need to get fingers under the edge of the tank.

It is on a flat board of MDF, but I'd be a bit concerned in case it dips in the centre. Also, there is a few mm overhang off the MDF, and those edges might well curl up slightly. I'd duck down to the pet shop and buy a piece, cheaper and easier than a cracked tank base.

or you can go to Super Cheap Auto or the Warehouse and get that camp matting - the foam stuff that rolls up. I use that under my tanks instead of styrofoam. It's probably cheaper to get the styro in the case of a standard 3' tank - I didn't need a standard length for mine and the camp matting was very versatile for that.

Archived