Substrate

pritch, thanks, but i already fertilise my plants regularly :) it just makes the plants the snails like to eat grow more and hence produce more rotting matter when the snails eat them :D lilli, they're just white little rocks :D natural ones, but about the size of a five cent piece on average? i had the roots of one of my plants rot in it after a few weeks :lol: i clean it once a month so i dunno what's wrong with it *shrugs* edit: plus i was thinking a more natural gravel might be better???

I agree with you Celeste. Those rocks are a recipe for disaster. All sorts of organic junk gets trapped down there plus it is an anaerobic environment. Not good. Plants need to be "solidly rooted" (no smutty jokes thanks guys!) or their roots will always rot. That is what coarse river sand is better than most tank gravels.

the plants were the 5 rush, and two plants (each a different species) of anubis. i saved the larger anubis and planted it on top of a cave, all my plants are now on top of things, even the tiki hut has an anubis as a hat these days :) they were only just planted deep enough to hold them in place (1-2 cm) as i figured they'd need room for their roots to grow down and get established :P lilli, thanks, i'll make sure to toss that gravel when we move and put river sand into all my tanks once they're set up again :) thanks for all the help guys!!

With the anubias the rhizome should be left uncovered to prevent it from rotting in the substrate. I can't really tell from the photos but the plants look fairly covered with gravel. Just a thought :)

ok Celeste84 as far as the rush goes you havnt done anthing wrong other than buy it (sorry) rush is not an aquatic plant and will not survive submerged and it will rot and die it is a bog water plant with the anubis personally never plant them always attach to a rock or piece of wood if it sends roots down into the gravel thats ok Ray

i knew the rush would rot eventually :P but the roots rotted out first :) and yeah with the anubis i left the long thick part at the bottom uncovered and just buried the roots?? is that the right thing to do?? in any case they're all now ruber banded to various caves and such :);

Soz Lisa - you're outvoted :P. Seriously, bigger spaces do allow more exchange (I used to teach uni students about soil and sediment profiles and my postgrad included some of that type stuff). I'm not sure how much crud we're talking about though - if it's enough to count as a substrate layer by itself then it could get anoxic all on it's own (even without the gravel) since it's probably comprised of fines. The only natural setting where I've encountered significant concentrations of H2S was in mangrove muds which can be anoxic within the first few mm.

maybe it is just my mental shorthand for decaying organic garbage! Not something I covered at university, lol. Anyway - whether it's anaerobic or otherwise, my point was that big gravel gaps are bad and can cause problems.

LOL. ....A few weeks when I aquascaped my 4ft, I lifted a log and OH MY GOD! The 600mls (at least) of bubbles that travelled up and right into my face almost killed me!! (although I think I was in more danger of wetting myself laughing as I was stuck with arm in tank :)) I thought I was in the bog of eternal stench!!! :P

Archived