Urgent Identification Of Larvae Required!

splendidbetta

I got home a short time ago and checked over my 'spawn-tank-in-waiting' and I found these monstrous creatures just hanging about, moving around, eating, and wriggling in their cocoons, inside my tank!

They are about the length of a single wisteria leaf, out of which they make these protective cases by sewing/sticking several bits of leaf together into a sandwhich, and then using that as a portable home to tag along with their rear-ends and retreat into when necessary. Some were without cocoons, just crawling slowly around on the vegetation.

They have white/yellow/clear bodies and much resemble terrestrial caterpillars. They have a very visible digestive tract and this is why they appear green. They have short stubby pointy legs. They are covered in a long white fuzz. They are segmented. Their heads and mouthparts are small.

They seem to eat only wisteria, they have not touched my watersprite. Coincidentally, 2 whole big bunches of wisteria which I got on the melbourne fish crawl, have dissintegrated, and I suspect these monsters to be responsible. They seem to go through heaps of plant matter, and actually 'shoot' their waste out of their cocoons, or that was how it appeared.

I've tried looking up what they may be, and all I could come up with was Aquatic Caddisfly larvae.

If they are something similar, I believe that although they are herbivorous, they may also turn predator.

I have fished out about 10 larvae, and undoubtedly there are many more hiding in my watersprite.

I don't want to drain the tank because it is absolutely teeming with micro-life. But I'm scared that these things may eat my future fry. Please help!

Here are the pics I have taken, and 1 short video.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Many thanks in advance!

Dunno what they are, but definately insects. Caddis came to mind when you mentioned the coccoon but I've never dragged one out of it's tube for a proper look. Do you have fry in the tank currently? If not throw an adult betta (or any other species of generalist predator) in to see if they'll clean them up. I wouldn't worry about emptying the tank because these guys won't be breeding. More than likely they'll need to metamorphose into a winged adult of who knows what and your tank condtitions won't be suitable for them to breed... Unless of course they were ...

Unless they were what? I don't have fry in there yet. And I don't want my adults to try eating them incase they are poisonous. They look pretty big to be eaten by bettas anyway. I wonder if a couple of applesnails would clean them up? Would the applesnails also eat the bloodworms I have in there?

Archived