Blue Rams (microgeophagus Ramirezi)

Berryfriendly

Yesterday i decided to branch out of my comfort zone and buy some new fishies. I ended up coming home with a pair of blue rams. I was really lucky because the two i had bought had already paired off. If you thought bettas had personality you should see these guys - what a hoot :) I will post some pictures soon. Has anyone had any experience with these little guys?

Had experience with butterfly rams, unfortunately they passed on in a bacterial outbreak :( however I would like to purchase some more rams in the future :) . At the moment I'm happy sticking to gourami, they're a little hardier but not as pretty as rams. Riverside aquarium had some absolutely stunning blue and gold rams the other day :) . They can be quite sensitive so attention to water quality is a must. They're not paticularly fussy eaters (well ... the ones I had weren't) and are very good as community fish.

South American dwarfs are great, i bought a pair of Bolivian Butterflies on the weekend, they already come up to the glass and meet me, how big are yours berry? ive seen both the longfin :) and the gold variety :( , but i like the normal blue ones best, all the best with them, hope they spawn for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats :) What are your water params? pH, GH, yadda yadda. There's a chance that they won't hatch if not right conditions. The sperm transfer to egg needs soft water and a low pH to be viable. Good luck :) Remove the male straight away. You can leave the mum in with her brood for a week or four, so she can direct to foods etc and clean them. It's not necessary though. I prefer to watch the female interact with the fry. Oh, these fry are very teeny and you might want to have some infuriosa on hand or liquid fry.

I will have to go and check the readings. Before they spawned i had added some IAL to their water. Their tank has: 1 x sponge filter 1 x heater (24*) 1 x breeding log (open both ends) java moss Will the male get depressed if i remove him? SHould i leave him close by so that he can see the babies but not get to them?

Archived