Naiyana Copper Ohm Pair

splendidbetta

This Copper Gold Ohm Pair by Naiyana will be coming to me in the next shipment of bettas from O/S.

They will cost me $55 AUD which will be going to Naiyana this week, as well as $75 AUD which will be going to someone for QT, customs and shipment.

It was mainly an impulse-buy that had a lot of thought behind it. I thought I should go for it and I did :D

I am very pleased with this pair. Fantastic finnage, color, and body shape.

Posted Image

I'm not blind to their faults though:

Just very slight general faults of color and finnage that will probably be rectified as they mature, and that can be selected away from.

The male and the female are I believe siblings. I need Naiyana to get back to me on that. But the male has Copper (gold?) parents and grandparents, all Hms or OHms, who also produced Platinum, Metallic blues, and Metallic greens as well as the copper. If these two are siblings there is a chance that they could produce platinums and metallic blues/greens among the copper.

My Plan is to spawn this male and female together, and then to spawn the female to my Rainnybetta CG OHm male (below), or the otherway around. The rest depends on the resulting offspring.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The male and the female are I believe siblings. I need Naiyana to get back to me on that. But the male has Copper (gold?) parents and grandparents, all Hms or OHms, who also produced Platinum, Metallic blues, and Metallic greens as well as the copper. If these two are siblings there is a chance that they could produce platinums and metallic blues/greens among the copper.

Hi Stefan,

Very interesting crosses you are planning there :). I'm sure this will produce some very nice offspring. One remark though, when you breed copper/gold x copper/gold you will never get any metallic blue/green offspring but only copper/golds. Genetically a copper/gold is a steel blue fish with two copies of the metallic gene (homozygotic metallic steel blues; blbl ++). When you breed two non-metallic steel blues together you will also only get steel blue offspring. More explanation and examples can be found in my article (click here): Understanding metallic genetics

Off course you are right that there always is the chance of getting platinums/pastels, because this are different genes which are involved.

Many greetings from the Netherlands,

Joep

• 1 month later...

This pair arrived today :lol: :lol: :giggle: The female is almost PERFECT!, the best female I've owned so far. The male suffered a bad case of rot when he arrived in the country, and JL had to trim the infected caudal after several different treatments failed to work. He now has alot of regrowth happening in his caudal and dorsal. He looks nothing like the photos... skimpy dorsal being the main difference... I think the rot got that as well. He is also quite small, so it will be quite a while before I could spawn him even to his ("sister"). He might be able to manage the Rainnybetta female I got from Lisa tho, and I can really see that happening :lol: They are both now settling down. I am somewhat concerned about the female, though. A few millimeters infront of her dorsal (which is fantastic), her body color extends onto her back. In a strip about 4mm wide. And then the color returns to black/brown unmasked just before her dorsal. Now, this strip/band of color is a greenish copper, like the rest of her body when viewed from above, only it is somewhat paler. I am scared that it might be saddleback, but, having never seen saddleback in RL, I dont know whether it is that or just her normal coloration. The area does not look infected, and she is acting perfectly fine. What do you think?

Saddleback usually looks duller, not really paler. It could be, but I'd not panic yet. Its not part of that wildy white dorsal stripe is it? Does it look like the bottom layer of colour showing through the metallic layer? I've not seen the white stripe in metallics, but its popped up in greens and turqouise before so maybe that could explain it.

Hi Stefan, fingers crossed all will be well. Yes, this poor guy arrived in the country on death's door. I did not hold out much hope for him. Rot in caudal and dorsal and lay on his side for days. Was good to see him finally building a nest and flaring at the girl, even with only a tiny tail! Cheers, J

I can't believe how sharp and crisp his caudal edges are! And the little devil was back up and back to his flirty old self by 5pm... he got a glimps of Lisa's rainnybetta boy and wouldn't stop flaring his head off! If only he would grow... I want to spawn him the the Naiyana girl, I'm sure there will be some beauties in that spawn :giggle: But I will try him with the rainnybetta girl first, but I will have to think more carefully about that. She would reduce finnage volume and that could be a good thing and a bad thing, depending on how it is reduced.

Archived