Unfiltered Tanks With Or Without Tankmates

Roquen

Hi all, Just been reading up on unfiltered planted and non planted betta tanks. Who here doesn't have filters, only heaters? Do you have any tankmates? What size tank? Any plants? Sorry for all the questions, but am interested to see what people have that isn't filtered and how it goes. ness!

I don't have filters on any of my tanks, in fact, I got my first filter today which will be for my female splendens tank, hopefully running in a couple of weeks. I don't even bother with heaters in the summer, as all my boys live on my bookcases which seem to maintain a good temp of about 26 degrees at the moment. I don't even have live plants! :) What kind of whacky fish owner am I? I just don't know enough about them yet, I'll be getting one or two plants for my girls' tank though. All my bettas seem quite happy and healthy though, only one has symptoms of finrot which is being treated atm, and none of them look or are acting stressed. Perhaps all of mine are just extremely hardy little fellas? :) Who knows? My biggest tank is 15L, the smallest is a QT tank which is 2L, and all seem to be A-OK. I've had Nibbler in an unfiltered system for about a year now and he is just as happy (and crazy) as ever. :D I am extremely regimented with weekly water changes on the larger tanks, sometimes twice weekly on the smaller ones, and I think that has a lot to do with the well being of fishies. Cheers L

No, no tankmates in any of them. Like I say, I'm just very anal when it comes to changing water etc, once a week at the least I do a 75% change. Then once a month, out comes the fish, and I do a thorough gravel clean as well. I'm not sure if this is the right method or not but I musn't be doing too badly as all my bettas are in pretty good condition. :) I'll try the java fern for sure, it was on my list. Hardiness is number one priority in my aquarium scheme! :)

I think ATM all my "keeper" and "breeder" males are in filtered tanks. And all my spawning tanks are filtered. And all have some kind of plant in them. None have heaters. If I need to, I heat the room. I have had unfiltered spawning tubs, and they were crammed full of floating plants.

Most of mine are in unfiltered tanks ranging in size from 3L to 5L. I have 4 30L tanks and a couple of those storage tubs that are holding about 20L, they are all filtered and heated because I am trying to spawn several pairs and one is being used as a barracks. All of these have Java Moss in them. The only one that has no plants is a 3L that I have multicure in, it kills plants. The larger tanks, 190L and 275L are fully filtered and planted with Java Fern, Anubias, Water Wisteria, Java Moss. I have Banana Lilys and some Riccia floating in the shallower tank, and I have just planted some Lilaeopsis as well which the old VT loves hiding in.

My younger boys live in barracks, tubs and bowls. The older boys live in the 2 sets of in tank barracks with the red devil. she presents entertainment and vice versa. the bubs have heated, sponge filtered tanks. The girls all live in a 2 foot community tank with the colony of 5 paradise fish. As for those darn 40 juvi Mollies of DH's (dear husbands) :((<_< theyve got a golo tub with a small powerhead filter. I'm hanging for march when they go to the LFS AARRRGGHHH! I tell you people its a ZOO here! :( :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

I would have about 10 betas in unfiltered and unheated 2-3 litre jars , these dudes all have a big chunk of live-plant in there that they munch on cos I have to always replace it...they also have a snail each for company and gravel on the bottom...and I am really slack when it comes to water-changes...I think the live-plants help with water quality cos these fishies never get sick...the gravel gets a rinse if I remember once in a while :(:welcome: ...half of these fishies are over 2 yrs of age and the other half would be 15 months and one of the gals in a jar is close to 3 now :cheer: ... I wouldnt dare leave the fishies without live plants...but thats just my personal preference, specially since I have noticed they munch-out on the live plants for fibre I guess!... I also believe this is why I have gotten away with being really lazy with WC's ssshhhh...I know I am a bad-girl , but I have a genuine reason for being lazy with their water...and they honeslty dont look ill from the effects of it

My boys are in bottles within a larger filtered tank, all have floating live plants and a snail, the full filtration system is in the big tank itself, usually UG plus 1-2 internal power filters to ensure the water moves around the bottles plus then I just need 1 heater in each of the big tanks in winter. All I have to do is the regular 20% weekly in the big tanks, every so often I remove the bottles and wash them fully.

Posted Image

I know this means shared water but then again so does barracks and I've never had anything bad go through the lot yet (touch wood). Of course I always QT new ones.

Breeding tanks are bare with Java moss and hornwort. I use small corner filters ($2 each at the Warehouse) set very low with carbon and zeolite in them.

Same goes with the bottles for jaring out babies in a 5 footer (5L 1.5W1.5H) in fact the photo above is the baby tank, plus I have 3 planted tanks for my girls (3 footer), sale girls (2 footer)and growout (2.5footer). It's not perfect but seemes to work well and is a lot less work than cleaning individual; tanks every week.

Cheers

Deb

Archived