How Many Males Do You Have Space/money To Keep?

splendidbetta

How many males do you have space+money to comfortably house?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How many males do you have space+money to comfortably house?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100
    • 101-150
    • 151-200
    • 201-250
    • 251-300
    • 301+

Hi All,

How many male bettas can you comfortably house according to your income and space?

I have not included females because they can be housed in community tanks etc.

( But if you keep your females individually, please include them in your poll selection.)

Do not state your income (unless you really want to).

But please elaborate on why you can keep the amount of males you selected - is it because you do or don't have much space for tanks, and tubs full of bottles or bare walls for barracks?

Or do you have the space but can or can't afford to keep so many bettas?

And please say how you house all these males

Do you keep them in tanks or bottles/jars? And how large are these tanks, bottles or jars?

Cheers guys :rofl:

I voted 36-40, because I don't have a whole lot of space to keep individual bettas. I can house 27 males in 2L bottles in heated tubs of water, I can probably float about 10 2L bottles in my 90L aging tank, and I can keep 3-6 12L glass tanks running for breeders/bettas being conditioned for breeding.

And it's not that I don't have the space, rather that I don't own the home and can't cover every surface with bettas. :rofl:

Money plays a tiny part though... If I had more money to throw around, I would get more 40 litre long shallow storage tubs for bottled bettas.

Any one know where I can get them for cheaper than $17 ? You've seen which ones I mean when I posted my betta setup a long while ago...

:lol: :lol:

I can't really say at the moment as my fishroom is being totally reorganised. The plan is to stand as many (perforated) bottles as possible in a heated and filtered 6' tank, so basically I can keep as many bettas as I can fit square 1L milk bottles into an area of 6' x 18". I also have shelf space for juveniles, just not sure how much space I'll have yet, until the tanks go in. I do have a barracks in the garage that was designed to hold about 130, but chronic unidentifiable leaks and difficulty heating constantly in winter have annoyed me so much that atm it's just shelving for empty milk bottles. So I haven't voted yet, as I don't know the answer. Technically I could vote 101 - 150 based on the baracks but that's not realistically representative of the number I intend to "keep". Also, it will only be juveniles pre-sale/spawning that are kept in the bottles. My breeder fish each enjoy a 10L tank/20L tub.

I've indicated 41 to 50. I have tank space for 15 - 18 adult males, and barracks tanks holding up to 40 juvie males in bottles. Limitations are not so much space per se, as power points and air pumps. Adult males are in divided tanks, 2 or 3 per tank: each fish has 4 - 6 litres. (Occasionally new fish reside temporarily in 2-3 litre bottles in one of the big tanks). Adult females are in 20 - 25 litre tanks, 4 or 5 girls in each, and a few still in a 3ft grow-out tank. Jarred juvies are in milk and Coke bottles in 2 x 2ft tanks and a 50l plastic tub.

I only have space for a few males - around 6 or 7 plus wild males in with their girlies. Two main reasons : 1. Money - not working atm (hubby and the mortgage have issues with new equipment purchases :) ) 2. House size - I live in a dolls house /shack. My entire fish room is a 6' high 3' wide set of shelves Cheers, Di

To give details of our housing arrangements Males: 10 individual placcy tanks 8 spaces in the intank Hagen Brand barracks (hagen are twice the size of the usual barracks from what i've seen) 4 spaces in the display, 4 compartment barracks 7 bowls. 1 of which is occupied at the moment. Girls: The 25 girls occupy a 150 litre blackwater tank with a waterfall filter. This they share with 6 paradise fish: 3 males and three females. My 2 oldest males occupy the tank together in amazing peace and keep the wenches inline. Oh and one adult female Mollie. LOL. Most peaefull community tank i've ever seen.

Well for the first time I've gone and done a count of the individual bettas :blink: And I wonder why we have no social life :yes: 179 of the little buggers. This includes males and females and they are housed as follows: 72 in barracks 18 in divided tanks (10 litres each division) 10 in 4 litre tanks 19 in 5 litre containers 31 in 3 litre jars 19 in 2 litre jars / bottles 10 floating bottles in grow out tanks This is fairly normal (if I could use this word in this situation) give or take a few. When we run out of jars etc then out come the cut 2 litre coke bottles and floating bottles I have made -- of which there are quite a few and would probably bring it up to about 200. I'm not counting the community tanks (with females amongst tropicals), betta grow out tanks/tubs and the spawn tanks (some of which have adult bettas in them). After writing this I really think I need a life :blink: Oh and if anyone wants to pay my electricity bill next time round you are welcome to it. Cheers, Pat.

I can only keep around 8 in 2 x 2fts divided 4 ways and filtered by corner filters. I have one on the kitchen windowsill (sth facing) where I put the prettiest males to show them off the rest are up in the attic, which is also my office. I'm a writer and a contract teacher/webpage builder so I have a horrible erratic income. I also have a 4ft divided 6 ways for the girls and 2 x 2ft spawning tanks. There are also 4 x 15 inch tanks and smaller betta barracks for dividing spawns... but really, because of time constraints, I'd rather keep just a few good breeding males and few good females... I just keep getting landed with all these odd fish I don't need. At the moment I have 7 males (incl one of Steve's, who is never home to give him back), 9 females and a rapidly growing spawn of six youngsters.

I voted for 26-30. At the moment I have 13 males and 2 females in individual containers (the females are in quarantine) while 6 of my females are in my 'ladies container'. I always have room for a few more :blink:. Running out of containers but I'm thinking about getting more beanie boxes because they seem more than big enough for my smaller betta males and they're easy to arrange on my desks. Seeing as I have a whole house to myself and two dogs I could quite easily populate the whole place with bettas but I'm not going to. Space isn't really an issue, money is. I'm going to be a student again in a few weeks but seeing as my money only ever goes to bills, food and petrol I do manage to save some up for when spawns I like come up for sale. I can sit for hours watching them swim around happily.

Really had to think about this, I had just rearranged my tanks but did not count. I have a barracks that hold 48 males. 16 7L tanks 1 5L tank, 4 3L tanks 12 2-3 L jars several 3 L juice bottles. This does not include 4 spawning tanks(15-20L), 3 grow out tanks(40, 70 & 120L) and 2 community tanks(40L & 120L) that have males floating within. I also have a couple of 20L tanks that are not in use. I am not going to count noses. I do know that my weekends are consumed by fish and water changes. Social life, what social life! :blink:

Thanks so much for your input everyone! :blink:

You don't have to go around and count all your bettas for this poll, just indicate how many bettas you can keep :blink:

Again, I must stress, if you are going to vote in this poll, please, please post the necessary details regarding housing in this thread.

Yes, you vote how many bettas you can keep, but I would also like to know how you keep them :cheer:

Many thanks :yes:

Archived