Do you think fish are capable of developing bonds?

jasper the fish

When I first got Jasper, I knew that he was just a fish trying to survive in his tank. Yet I always projected a 'personality' onto him. Still though, I knew that he didn't care much for me, just for food. For the most part, he always wanted to be alone.

Now (some months later) I've been noticing a change in his behaviour.. Mostly he likes to stay by my side of the tank (since he's on my work desk), he'll usually sit there and watch me. Whereas before, he didn't really care and only wanted to be the furthest away from me. Whenever I'm at my desk, he'll try really hard to catch my attention out of the corner of my eye, like wriggling his tail furiously and swimming up/down. Even after he's been fed. (This is something he didn't care to do before).

He'll also prefer to sleep closest to my side whenever I'm at my desk at night, and if I'm not there, he'll swim back to his own caves on the opposite end.

I was just wondering if anybody thinks that betta fish were capable of developing some sort of friendship or if they were able to "acknowledge" a human as a favourite?

• 5 months later...

Interesting thought. I saw a similar personality switch in my first betta (Charley, who's sadly gone to fishy heaven:)) ) I've yet to get another one so I'll take note if it happens again when I get one. But he displayed the same habits as you described and he only did it with me. With everyone else he'd disappear into the dense plant cover, but as soon as I came near the tank he was out and about begging for attention. The way I see it is some fish develop strong bonds with their partners so why can't that be the case with us?

I think they recognise the people that feed and care for them. I noticed my fish - a community tank I no longer have- would follow me around the tank depending on where i was yet when my husband (or anyone else) went near the tank they just continued doing their normal thing. I did find the Bettas had much more personality than the other fish though. :)

I would have to say yes.... But not like a human bond .....otherwise they would be ...... well human.

It's easy to see things from our perspective. We have had thousands of yearsat the top of the food chain. It kind of changes the way you look at life and other species.

• 4 weeks later...