Hi All :)

RonnyM

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to the betta hobby.

I've kept betta before as additional fish but never taken them seriously until now.

I recently acquired a pair of Salamander Snow halfmoons and will be looking to breed them so doing a lot of research and heard about this site.

Anyway, looking forward to learning from you guys :)

Here are some pics of the pair.

DSC_6412_zps215131f7.jpg

DSC_6402_zpsabeeed25.jpg

Cheers

RonnyM :)

Welcome to the forum! Pretty fish and she is obviously ready to go ;)

Have a good read through the spawn logs for tips and tricks and...what not to do on occasion :)

Make sure you have your live food cultures up and running before you breed, and try your hand at hatching BBS. Search the forum for the easiest BBS methods.

And have fun with it!

Good luck :)

Hi Ronny!

Welcome to the forum :-)

Are they from someone? They're beautiful.

I'm only fairly new to the forums aswell, but so far everyone here is really helpful.

My advise is to go through some old threads, have a read, then ask some questions. There's lots of knowledge available here.

Good luck with your Salamanders :-)

MissM!

Hi Ronny,

Welcome to the nuthouse.... I mean AusAqua forums.

Please enjoy our free hospitality... Yada yada yada.

In all seriouseness, nice pair but I would be looking at the anal fin within the fry. The males is a bit long :)

• Like 1

welcome ronny. i saw these guys on facebook (all of us seem to get around a few pages ;))
they are stunning best of luck with breeding. theres plenty of info on here never be afraid to ask any q's either :) theres heaps of spawn logs too :)

geez hachi slow down on the betta crtique hes just saying heyy all :P

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Been going through a heap of threads looking up spawn set ups etc.

so much good info :)

Hi Ronny!

Welcome to the forum :-)

Are they from someone? They're beautiful.

MissM!

Thanks, they are from someone :)

In all seriouseness, nice pair but I would be looking at the anal fin within the fry. The males is a bit long :)

Thanks Hachi, bring on the critique :) I'm still learning what the good traits are and what to look for in pairs etc.

I noticed his anal is much longer than the caudal. Was hoping his tail might grow a bit more as he's only 4 months old.

I also know his dorsal is quite thin but hey, I think he's ok for a starting point. If he was perfect, I'd have nothing to work for lol.

Perfect to work with, main thing I would say when looking for ladies be very picky with the length of their anal, and when breeding, try to always breed for better females, and any fault she has the boys will have even more evident.

Best part is developing your own fish and watching the grow from a little tail in a nest to a full on fish you can show.

Thanks for the female tip :)

Will be on the look out for a nice one to go with my boy. The one I have is his sister so I suspect I won't be able to improve much with the two together.

Being able to develop my own fish is what I find so interetsing about Betta :D

Where is the best place to source top quality Betta?

The female tip alot of American breeders told us.

Since females are short fin any faults will be exaggerated on the longer finned males (shapes, bent rays, rough edges, unbalanced fins etc)

There's plenty of really nice fish in aus the main sources are

Jodilea(someone) and aquabid imports

The IBC international shows (all international entrants are auctioned or sold off)

Breeders especially those who show fish as they'll be actively striving for well balanced stunning fish

Even shops can have nice bettas (a lot of the bettas taken to whole salers are runts or excess to needs so there can be some stunning fish) the lady who won the reserve best of show at the Vic IBC show last year was hand picked by me and James (lodobetta- we handpick all our fish) for under $20 :)

Thanks maddzvk,

I'm on the hunt for a nicer female for my boy. I'll try him with the girl I have now just to see what they produce and have already planned to move her on to someone with a nicer halfmoon of similar colour.

Doing a bit of reading on the genetics to find out what I need to make exactly what I want.

Anyone selling any nice blue butterfly halfmoons?

Do you have a shop maddzvk?