breeding elephant ear bettas.

Lorraine1

I am interested in any information on breeding elephant ear bettas. I have a white male with a blue pearl sheen, but I live in Tasmania and the laws here are very strict, so getting a female to match may be near impossible. being a recessive trait, is there a way that I can breed the ee gene into any young? will breeding father to any daughters give me ee young, or is that breeding too close. I cant work out how to post a photo of the male

Welcome to the forum Lorraine. Probably best to repost the question in the genetics forum. Just because not everyone will see it here in introductions. With photos, you need to load it first on a free picture hosting website. Many of us use photobucket. But there are others. Then you grab the URL from the Photobucket and paste it here between tags. There are more instructions in the Fishy Showroom forum.

Hey Lorraine - welcome to the forum

As Razzi suggested, repost this in Genetics - there are some of us here who love talking about this stuff, and better it be in the right place to begin with :)

Father daughter crosses, other Tassie breeders, and getting fish into Tas is all on the table for AusAqua members ;)

See you round the boards

i started this a while ago no one really took to it http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14877

looking through some of the american forums it seems that whilst breeding ee to ee is the easiest way to get alot of ee fry it also leads to alot of assymetry. in fact i asked extravagent betta about it in january and they said they had 14 sellable fry from a ee x ee pairing and even they had assymetrical pectoral colouring. so i think breeding fry back to a father would be a good way to go about it. not saying you cant breed ee to ee i think theres just some caution needed like breeding DT's together.

and of course if there is no matching female then an unrelated female and then breeding back to the father should result in some fry with the trait...