Thermometers and Heaters

Snowflake

Hi everyone - I'm running a 25W Aqua Vital Heater in my 10L tank, my question is if I leave the glass thermometer in the tank will it over heat and destruct? PS I've never run a heater before and of course I had so many questions for the guy at the aquarium that I forgot to ask this most basic one.

In my experience they have been fine in-tank (located in the corner furthest away from the heater). However, they have been know to explode. I don't know what the liquid is that is in them nowadays but it once was (and may still be) Mercury - which is definately not good for your fish should it break, and neither will the glass shards be HTH, Di

Di thank goodness someone's replied I was getting worried. Yes it's got mercury in it. I'd better then take it out. I've been running the heater for about 3 hours or so and it's sitting at around about 26 or 27 degrees. I'm out at work tomorrow all day, in your experience have you known the temperature to rise during the day even though late afternoon it's been sitting around 26/27? Oh BTW the actual heater reads 22 but the thermometer reads 26/27 - damn little lines I can't see the blasted things.

If the thermometer 'over heats and destructs' I would worry about the inmate. Good idea to check new heaters for a couple of days in an unoccupied tank ( or bucket). Most of my heaters are set at a different temp to the one the tank runs at. Just depends on water volume and flow etc. Plus most cheap thermometers read at different temps. I only use mine as a guide for big swings.

I had a thermometer explode last summer.. Not fun! Made a heck of a mess of the tank. Glass, metal balls.. UGH. I came home to very cloudy water and a tank full of floaties. It wasn't until I put a siphon hose in to drain some water and it snagged on the remains of what once was my thermometer that I realised what had happened. I won't use the glass thermometers in my tanks unless I'm desperate and definitely not in summer any more

really? I have them in 19 tanks and have never had a mishap. (Famous last words). I would be surprised if the thermometer would explode unless the tank got hot enough to have already cooked your fish, anyway. Sorry to be morbid! But they are designed to be kept in fish tanks in a range of temps. About 5 or 6 years ago I used to keep a thermometer in a discus tank set at just under 90F (32.2C) and I never had a thermometer explode (the discus never did fantasticaly well, but that is a different story). I honestly don't think it's a big (as in likely) risk.

Most 'mercury' thermometers these days are made with red spirits, and are pretty non-toxic if they break within your tank. If you do a 50% water change IF it happens, all should be fine. About the only way you'd break one would be through sheer force or carelessness, so I wouldn't worry. You'll lose the steel balls too, pick those up with a magnet.

I hate cheap plastic nasties with the metal balls. Will never forgive the batch I bought where the ends fell off and was siphoning little balls for weeks, yuk. Now I have a couple of digitals that have a probe that you can stick in the tank. More expensive, more accurate and easy to check a few tanks quickly. Also measures air temp.

really?  I have them in 19 tanks and have never had a mishap.  (Famous last words).

I would be surprised if the thermometer would explode unless the tank got hot enough to have already cooked your fish, anyway.  Sorry to be morbid!  But they are designed to be kept in fish tanks in a range of temps. About 5 or 6 years ago I used to keep a thermometer in a discus tank set at just under 90F (32.2C) and I never had a thermometer explode (the discus never did fantasticaly well, but that is a different story).  I honestly don't think it's a big (as in likely) risk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mine went in a massive record heatwave that we went through. The water temp went through the roof! I wasn't around when it happened because I had taken the babies and gone to hide at my mothers in her aircon (that wasn't coping). I highly doubt the fish would have survived it regardless of the thermometer blowing or not since the air temp of my house when I got home after the heat had subsided was still in the mid 40's

I used to use the plastic thermometers in my tanks without any mishaps ... that is, apart from clumsy me breaking them! But after buying my first digital one, I threw all the plastic ones away. Although it's more expensive to buy initially, one digital can monitor several tanks, it's much easier to read the temperature and it's more accurate. Sue

its also possible that the themometer I had blow had a flaw of some kind in it. It was far from new and any scratches etc that it may have had could have easily created a stress/weak point. In well over 10yrs its the only one I have ever had blow on me. I'm with Sue on the digital thermo's though.. they are definitely my preference.

Archived