Grrrrr jumpers

briztoon

Was planning to put my wild Splendens together this week end to spawn. Got up this morning to find my female on the floor. First time I have had a jumper in a couple of years. She was a little dried out, but still alive. She's holding on in, mostly sitting on some plants near the surface. :(

Phew at least you found her alive. I bloody lost my new male of my palangkarensis pair the other day. Have no idea how he got out as all my tanks are very securely glad wrapped with no holes to get through.

Just watch if she dried out a bit as I found that the edges of their fins tend to necrosis and die back until new tissue grows. My poor persephone female did the same and looked like she was a zombie fish for a while.

Definitely does make you very cautious and paranoid though after they have done it. Enough to give you grey hairs *lol*

Definitely does make you very cautious and paranoid though after they have done it. Enough to give you grey hairs *lol*

I know exactly what you mean, if I don't see one of my fish for a while, I start thinking the worst and start looking around the tank floor for what us viets call Ca Man (dried salty fish)! If I find nothing then I rip the tank apart (driftwood, hiding spots, etc.). If that ain't paranoia, LOL!

I have had a few patoti jump to their deaths. I'd be in the middle of changing water, turn my back, and find a dried fish a bit later. Recently thought I lost a fish only to find it later hiding in the java fern. Bare tank with only one bunch of java that I'd moved around when I was searching for it. Crazy.

Cheers for the stories guys.

I did wonder how a betta would escape from one of your Glad Wrapped tanks Ashlea.

The tank is an Aquaone 30cm cube with lids. There is almost a 6cm gap from the water line to the lid. There are only two gaps she could have jumped out of. One at the rear where the air line and cord for the heater enter and it's unlikely she jumped out of there and made it across to where I found her. The other gap is at the front left corner, where her tank sits next to the males tank. It's possible she was trying to jump out of her tank and in to his tank.

Today she is much better, almost as active as she usually is. Looks like a couple of missing scales on her back and that's about it.

Today is water change day, so I'll add a small IAL and some Melafix after the water change today.

Glad to hear she is doing well. Nothing worse than losing one half of your prime breeding pair. Especially if they are going to be a hard fish to replace.

It is astonishing the gaps they can squeeze through. I found one of my unimaculata barely alive halfway across my bedroom floor after it had leapt out and fallen about 1.5m to the ground from the top shelf of my rack. He had actually torn through the corner of the glad wrap as it wasn't stuck down properly.

If she's just missing a few scales it sounds like you were pretty lucky.

I had a girl jumper. Found her all crispy, so I threw her into the WC water was I about to get rid of. I got called away and forgot about dumping the water on the lawn. When I got back she was coming to. She made a full recovery but did a swan dive about 4 months later (not so lucky that time)

I woke today to see what I thought was a yo-yo loach stuck in one of the holes in the drift wood I have in the tank. Turns out he can get through that hole no problems, he just likes to sit in that hole with his tail hanging out. Gave me a heart attack but then I returned the favour when I tried to free him and startled him :P