Considering keeping Cherries or CRS

StephanieBell

Hello!

I have a few 10 litre tanks spare that I was going to use for Bettas but I want to try something different. I posted up a topic about what I could keep in a 10 litre and shrimp were suggested.

I've considered keeping them before but I am concerned about the water temp. In summer it can get to 40-42C and a few years ago we had a day when it got to 45C! The only good thing about that day is that most people got to go home from work. I've looked at some chillers online but I'm not sure if I could even have one with my set up. The tank is pretty small (almost a cube shape too). Filtration will just be a small double sponge filter (which I already have for the Bettas I was going to put in there) and I have 25W heaters too. Could I use fans? Do they work well? I've seen some on ebay but not sure how you would control the temp. Would you just leave the heater on and put the fan on so the heater sort of controls the temp by stopping it from getting too cold?

Also how many shrimps could I keep in the tank. I was thinking maybe 5?

Edited by Steph90

if you're planing on keeping cherries, a heater is not really necessary until the dead of winter imo. cooling wise I just freeze a bottle of water and let it float in the tank. also turn the bubbles up to max to compensate for oxygen loss due to heat. do you know if the water actually reaches 45 or just the air temp? not sure exactly what fans do but if they help lower temp via surface agitation, the sponge filter does the same thing...

5 sounds like a good starting point but if they're cherries I wouldn't expect it to stay at that number long :-P can't help with the crs because they sound too fickle for me to want to keep

Just the air temp, not water temp. I assume the water temp would be a fair bit lower. I'm not sure what the water temp gets up to. I'll have to keep an eye on my other tanks this year.

Didn't think that about the fan doing the same thing as sponge filter - good point.

The bottle thing sounds like a good idea.

Id test your setup on cherries first make sure you can keep them with no problem then get the more expensive CRS later. With such a small tank you will have to make sure you keep the population low as shrimp have a reputation for multiplying.