aborted babies?

jay_ro

Hi guys,

i have/had a very pregnant female guppy. i put her in a separate tank so she would be left alone and could have her babies without being pestered.

when i put her in her own tank, i left to go and wash bucket etc.. when i came back she wasnt in the tank.. i must have been out of the room for a good 10-15 mins.. looked everywhere only to almost Step on her, and find her on the floor...

when i put her back in her tank, she seemed ok. a little stressed but still alive.

BUT now that i look at her, she is very small again and her gravid spot looks to be almost gone??

has she aborted her babies??? i even thought maybe she popped them out while flapping around on the floor - so down i got with a torch to see if there were any i could save.. but nothing??

will she be ok??

Thanks guys! hoping for some - ANY feedback..

Jess

Edited by jay_ro

First things first, I think we are all glad to hear that your girl is alive and well.

Secondly, I would do some more reading around this forum before attempting a fry. The eggs that your female carries are useless without the male. Removing her from the tank doesn't help her have babies. She needs to wrap with the male and he needs to pick up the eggs and place them in his bubble nest. She'll even help him do this. She will more than likely sustain some damage during their mating ritual but there will be a time when it is appropriate to remove her and it's after she's dropped the eggs.

You should also condition her before you give her another go. I'm sure there are people on the forum that will put this much more eloquently than I, however most of the things I am saying can be found in other parts of the forum. The best of luck! I know it can be a lot when you first get into the Betta thing. Glad to hear your girl is still alive!!

^RiffRaff, i think it's a guppy jess i asking about :D

@jess, it's most likely she's aborted her babies as guppies in my experience have pretty good control over the environment they drop in. she probably reabsorbs her fry and uses that energy to cope with the stress of jumping out.

that being said, she'll probably be pregnant again once she feels better as guppies are notorious for being able to keep sperm.

Thank you so much for the feedback guys!!!

Really appreciate it.. - i thought she may have aborted, but just wanted to make sure.

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! :D:D

when should i put her back in with my other fish? should i give her a brake and keep her in the tank by herself???

Thanks again!!

Jess

thanks guys! i put her back in the tank with the others yesterday. she seemed happy to be back in there.

shes looking fat again, not AS fat but.. still fat which im assuming is normal??

haha really appreciate the help and responses!! :)