Makurdi Long Fins

KillieOrCory

well i used to be heavy into bettas but i finally realised that we don't have the climate to effectively breed fighters but we have the climate for killies

killies are much easier to breed then fighters and there fry are much easier to raise as well.

Hey Serkan

I have seen the clip and dont realy mind the idea of selective breeding. we do it anyway by picking the pairs we will mate for next season so why not for other ornamentle purposses.

Heydavo

I dont realy know about Killi fry being easyer than Betta fry. I mean waiting eighty odd days for eggs to be ready to hatch is a long wait Mate but betta are three days and you are there. They are like two diferent diciplines that I couldnt chose between

Cheers

les

hey zui

In the quickness of betta there is the slowness of genetics this isnt at play with killi unless you decide to play with there genetics, most Killi enthusiasts seem to frown on this act. I supose it is like looking for the stillness and finding movment or you could listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

Cheers

les

hahaha

i agree with both of u it's a major discipline change in both ends

I started live with bettas but i noticed in Australia especially in Sydney it is very hard to breed enough bettas in sufficient quantaties to make it viable. It should only be looked at a pretty thing at the end.

But with killies you can do so much more IMO as if u put them in a permanent setup they will soon breed happily for you for a long time...

Anyways that is my take on it..i might return to bettas when i get a more dedicated setup on breeding and rearing them!!..

I like killies because not only are they extremely beautiful and quite betta-like in personality, but they aren't always trying to kill each other and so I don't need to dedicate a whole lot of resources (electricity and space) to one fish.

Once I get a job again and some savings in my account I am definitely going to get a dedicated killifish set-up going.

I reckon wild bettas are the way to go Davo. Mine live peacefully enough in family groups and they are rather self-sustaining if you can keep your numbers and gender ratios steady.

hey zui

In the quickness of betta there is the slowness of genetics this isnt at play with killi unless you decide to play with there genetics, most Killi enthusiasts seem to frown on this act. I supose it is like looking for the stillness and finding movment or you could listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

Cheers

les

is that like "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound ? :lol:

I like some selectively bred fish (guppies etc) and have some that appeals to me like Gold gardneri and australe, Albino bristlenose, gardneri and sterbai cory.

Though some I don't find suits my taste, like longfin bristlenoses or baloon mollys/rams etc.

This longfin Makurdi is super attractive in my opinion.

Most killifish keepers are not that into selectively bred colour and fin morphs mainly because there are so few of us that some feel if people do not have tanks dedicated to wild type fish we might loose them from the hobby altogether.

Each to their own really, as long as people are keeping killifish I don't care which type! :devil: :lol:

I agree with Serken..

And besides Killies are so much easier to keep..

There are 3 rules to keep killies.

1. Keep a tight lid on top of the tank and cover EVERY HOLE YOU SEE.

2. Feed sparingly and keep your tanks cool 24 C is the max

3. If you find missing fish, refer to rule 1.

I must say I would purchase a pair of long fin if I got the choice. and I realy like Chocolate Australi. But like you say if the wild types are looked after then thats the main thing. Maby Serkan and Davo, you could add pics of the varieties of killis you both keep and Ill put up some that I keep and that way we could start an ID thread on the Killi section of Aus Aqua????

Cheers

Les

I can't speak with any authority in the fish world but in the bird world there are some species that are no longer recognisable from their wild form. Take the humble Australian budgie for example. It has been selectively bred for decades and is now no longer anything like its' wild counterpart. We have to be mindfull of what we breed and still keep pure wild strains "pure". Otherwise our fish will go the way of the humble bush budgir. Sorry but thats my 2 cents worth.