Going away for a few days - imported fish be ok?

splendidbetta

Hi All, I will probably be going away for a few days with my family after the new year. I don't really want to go, because that means that I miss out on Ausaqua and my new CGs. :) But I have to go. *lol* Any way, this is my major concern: I have the male C/G and his sister in my sig, at home, with me. The male lives in a glass heated 12 litre tank. The female lives in a 15-20 litre heated acrylic tank next to him. Both fish have no problems eating. But I am concerned about the male. Since he was only imported a few weeks ago, he is not as healthy as he could be... tattered fins and looking slightly fragile. Nothing that some good food and time wont fix. But 3 days with no food might do him harm. So I am asking your advice on how to make sure that he stays OK for the 3 days I am gone. I plan to feed him frequently over the next few days to try and get some meat on him. Currently I am feeding frozen blood worms, FD tubifex, and will be getting frozen adult BS today. Automatic feeder is not an option. Neither are mozzie rafts. And he will pig-out to death on any kind of algae-wafer or long-lasting food etc if I put that in. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't really trust my sources of blackworms. And live brineshrimp are expensive. So my only options atm are frozen bloodworms, frozen adult brineshrimp and freeze-dried tubifex worms. So if I build him up on that stuff he should be OK? And what about water quality? Should I do a waterchange the day I leave? Thanks *lol*

I'm a big believer in frz bw. They would be my first choice. If they are the only fish living in their respective tanks, the volume of water should help keep things stable. A water change either the day before you go or on the day would be a good idea to put your mind at ease I'm sure.

why are mozzie rafts not an option? Live mozzie larvae would be ideal, tiny as can be if possible so that over a couple of days they grow big enough for him to really get stuck into them. Otherwise just feed him adequately before you go. My fish at work are frequently left for 2 days with no ill effects. I doubt that 3 days will be any worse, even if he hasn't been imported long.

LOL! well that is a bit of an obstacle! It shouldn't take long if you leave a bucket out with some water change water in it. chuck in some rabbit food or lawn clippings or something, just a handful, and they should lay in it in time for your holiday. It's worth a shot anyway.

Stefan, I've left fish for 4 days without feeding. It's surprising how tough these fishes, or any other for that matter, really are. But... saying that, the water change first before going away is the only thing you should really be concerned about

And I am looking forward to buying their fry!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:dance: If you don't mind them being sent in bottles, I'm more than glad to sell you some. :cheer: Oh but someone will still need to guide me through packaging and shipping etc. I've never done it before.

I hope I get some beauties in this spawn.

Archived