Dividing Techniques

Lilly

I know, I know- there are so many threads on this!

Anyway, I have a few 2 ft tanks and I want to divide one of them. I measured one and it holds 54 litres. I'm thinking if I divide it into 5 sections, each fish will have a bit over 10 litres.

Now, there are lots of talk on using poster hangers and such, but I'm going right back to basics. All I'm thinking of doing is using small squares of thicker glass or plastic (maybe even airline tubing cut in half) in a way that would allow me to simply slide in a piece of perspex between the small squares. Do you understand what I mean? I suck at descriptions haha.

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried this, as I couldn't find this basic idea in any DIY threads. Or if you guys see any faults in doing it this way?

I would drill lots of small holes in the plastic, or a few large holes covered with dark mesh as I would like to get away with using no more than 2 heaters and a couple of sponge filters. I understand this won't give much water circulation, but I'll worry about that further down the track. The plastic would either be a solid colour/not clear or clear with room to slide a thin, solid card down beside it to allow for easy flairing excersize.

I never really thought that through much at all... the idea came to mind because I know we have some perspex laying around here somewhere, but now that you say that I don't think there will be enough for 4 30cm x 30cm dividers.

Maybe I'll have a look at what I have, and also have a think about water flow and filtration (spray bars?). There's some good stuff in old threads, but lots of it is 5-10 pages long and spread out through small comments so can be hard to find and understand.

Thanks for that rather important reminder, Chi. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is 2 methods I have used

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69609132@N07/7567367324

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69609132@N07/7567364644

This one ended up having14 bays in a 600 x 300 x 300

I lifted the beanie box and the gunk fell through, and hour later I would syphon the gunk out and replace water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69609132@N07/7567372684

Edited by somchai2500

You can use the conventional dividers that can be bought from the LFS and use the appropriate holders or buy a sheet of perspex from your local Bunnings and just use suction caps to hold in place. Leave a 1-2 mm gap at the bottom and drill lots of little holes in the perspex for water flow. Hope this helps. I use it with great success

Something to think about is how much room you have above the barracks to remove a divider that isn't flexible. If your Perspex dividers are 30 cm you would need nearly the same amount of room above. Not a problem if it's just a single barracks but if there are several on shelves you might have a problem.