stopping bettas from seing each other

lachie1998

Hi all

i got myself a 4 bay betta tank and i dont want my bettas seing each other. how can i stop them seing each other through the glass dividers?

here is my new tank

1946634b.jpg

f3f9b0e7.jpg

also if i let them see each other will it effect them? as i plan to enter them in shows and stuff.

thanks

Why don't you want them to see eachother? If they can see eachother they'll flare more. It won't do them any harm :) most, if not all of the people on the forum keep their bettas in barracks where they can see eachother. I wouldn't worry about blocking their view, you'll still be able to enter them in shows :)

Nice tank by the way :) your betta will look really good in that!

They will eventually get used to the sight of each other and stop flaring, also, if they are overstimulated there is a risk they will split their fins. You could laminate some card and slide it down the side, you may need to hold it in place somehow at the top somehow.

Maybe you could use some black covers from thoses folder things that have those plastic sleeves in them. They would be easy to cut and water proof. You could attach it at the top with some waterproof tape. Then you would be able to easily remove them to exercise them.

what would you do matt? i have this tank it is mine and i dont have any other fish to put in it.

also how should i heat it?

I would do what Steph said. As for heating, these tanks are very hard to heat, if it was me, I would get a nano canister, make some small water bridges and add an inline heater, that would cover both heating and filtration.

well i went to setup this tank filled the 1st and 2nd sections then i filled the 3rd and 4th then i notice the water level droping.

so pissed off water went everywere a fair bit of it got soaked up in a towel under my planted tank. how :censor: nice my room is going to smell :applaud:

So its not water proof?

Well that solves the carding and heating problem.

Firstly, I'd go and buy some aquarium safe silicones, do a search for these (on the forum) I did a dodgy DIY thread with HILARIOUS photos and demo on how to re-seal (find it yaself I can't be bothered - helpful aren't I?)

So you can re-seal the thing without taking it apart, that's fixable.

Secondly carding, buy some firm plastic sheets - or the covers from art/sketch books or something you'll find at art supplies that is rigid, clip it on with a peg or something and bob's your uncle - make sure the fish can't get behind it.

This is actually best as you can remove it once a day (up to 30 mins etc) and let them flare/exercise and then card them again to relax.

Hyper fish (young fish) usually flare constantly until they get bored, and waste a lot of energy on this passtime... carding is best.

Old fish flare and get stressed and often tear fins and get worn out quickly.

Thirdly size, These barracks arent large, and you've decided to keep betta in what looks like 1-2 litres, this is a maintenance decision as much as an "ease" decision (personally my fish are in 5lt minimum each for breeders and 1 lt jars for juvis)

The issue with the size is mostly going to be maintaining it, you'll need to do at least 50% water changes twice a week. (IMO)

Fourthly (so many) ....Heat.

I've seen these barracks heated with mini pad heaters (Joan might be able to help you out) make sure the temperature is stable between 26-28 please - then you'll not have to worry about asking us about fin rot and velvet down the track.

Another way you might achieve heat is with a terrarium pad, (sits underneath the whole tank) I haven't seen them with heat dials, but do some research, they might be useful for you.

These barracks can be really handy, but in my opinion a bit hard work.

Let us know how you go.

-Ness

That's the second tank of that brand I've heard of leaking within the last two weeks, they're earning quite a reputation. That said, I have one and not a problem with it... :)

Ness had all the right advice on everything but I'll add another 2c in reptile heating cord. You'll probably have a hard time finding a heat mat that will sit well under that tank so some cord with a track laid out in foam under the tank would probably be the way to go. Otherwise the tank looks like it might be tall enough to house a 25w aqua one heater on either end which would then heat the tank beside it to within a degree or two.

20120515_113315.jpg

This type of barracks has a "sump" in the rear where you can place your heater and filter material. I use a Black stainless mesh which still allows water flow but stops direct line of sight .

BTW its the bottom barracks

i like that setup zui, i was going to make a system like that but mum bough two of these. yeah i was thinking bout reptile cord, i will look into reptile cord.

before i filled it up i also noticed how little silicone they used.

My barracks was made by the same company and I agree there is very little silicone used. The best sealant I know of is called V2 and you can get it from Hogans wholesale on the cumberland highway at Smithfield