Anubias and Java fern.

Hazell

I have heard a lot about these plants,

Could someone post some pictures of it for me?

Also what are the price ranges of these plants?

Are they effective in little to no light?

What bonuses are there to having them with Bettas?

~Hazell.

Edited by Hazell

Anubias is practically indestructible. I grow some in tanks that receive only the weakest natural light and they do fine. Java fern I've found, does require a bit more light and nutrients to really get it looking good.

Java fern is usually cheaper than anubias (depending on type), but I personally purchase all my live plants online as I've found they are slightly cheaper than in store, and there is usually a wider range to choose from.

Java fern and anubias grow too slowly to have any real impact on ammonia levels in your tank (for that you will need fast-growing stem plants), but they are aesthetically much more attractive than fake plants, and provide your betta with somewhere to rest/hide. My males with longer fins usually rest on the leaves up near the surface.

No problems ^_^ . I use anubias in quite a few of my betta tanks and it is one of my favourite plants. Does well in low light and needs practically no attention to thrive. Plus there are so many different types, you can really create an interesting looking tank with only one species of plant.

Thanks all, I hope to be getting some soon also, can any of you Identify this plant?:

I bought a while ago, since it has thrived in low light.

HNI_0052.jpg

My Female near it.

HNI_0051.jpg

The plant

HNI_0049.jpg

Again.

It looks a little like Java fern. But not sure.

Edited by Hazell

It's some variety of crypt. They are prone to melting with sudden swings in water chemistry, but are otherwise fairly hardy.

Also, you might want to watch the shells in your tank. They will harden your water and pushed your pH up as they are calcium carbonate.

• 1 month later...

Muhaha be jealous of my natural sunlight, no fert anubias!!!

SunnyTank.jpg

(light was only on for photo)

I have actually melted/rotted a few anubias when my water went really really acidic and I wasn't getting much water movement.

I like anubias coffeefolia (which is what the big one is) and anubias nana, which are the smaller ones.

I also have four anubias nana 'petite' from Jeff at Liverpool Creek and they are seriously tiny.

I was actually going to attempt growing anubias afzelii emersed with some peace lilies in a riparium type set-up.