Harvesting Crickets

zhong89

Due to recently time constriants I can no longer harvest enough worms for my fishes so for my macs I've decide to buy a box of crickets. Using it as conditioning food for my pair hoping they will breed for me again.

But i have run into a dilenma... how do I get the crickets out of the box without one of their friends jumping out the box when I open it? I've already lost one cricket and have no idea where it is. Now what I do is open the box at the bottom of a large bucket so the cricket can't jump out of it... but they're got to be a better way.

So I'm wondering what are you methods?

This is how i did it when i needed to feed 2-3 crickets to my frog

Step 1. Get box of crickets

Step 2. give box of crickets to bradley

Step 3. direct bradley to release some crickets

Hed just peel one corner open and shake the crickets out and yell at them to stop crawling on the outside lid and fall into the tank.

When I had a frog I would put the cricket container in the fridge for about 15 minutes which would make them lethargic and easier to handle, if you have pinhead crickets then you would probibly only want to leave them in there for 2 minutes or so. Just don't forget about them whatever you do, or you may just kill your crickets.

I fed him crickets once an evening and the remaning ones seemed allright once they heated up again, they were the medium sized ones though, i'm not sure about the smaller sizes. They did not like going in the fridge mulitple times in a row though.

Edited by Masquerade

This is how i did it when i needed to feed 2-3 crickets to my frog

Step 1. Get box of crickets

Step 2. give box of crickets to bradley

Step 3. direct bradley to release some crickets

Hed just peel one corner open and shake the crickets out and yell at them to stop crawling on the outside lid and fall into the tank.

i should try this...lol

I don't think putting the crickets in the fridge is good for me coz I WILL forget and by the time I remember they've long passed on.

What about keeping them for a while? I don't think I'll feed all my crickets before you grow up and die... so I need to either breed them or found it a way to keep them for an extended period of time

We used to feed crickets to our lizard. Crickets freak me out. I run screaming from any insect capable of jumping or flying into/on me.

We housed our crickets in an old aquarium. They had some egg cartons to hide in as well as some food (carrot or dog dry food usually) and a shallow dish of water. Ours seemed to live for a while like that.

If you have any cats make sure your crickets are secure. Our siamese used to tip over the aquarium and we'd come home to cricket massacre. Nothing better than waking up to find a cricket perched on your pillow :snooze:

You can open the box inside a bucket - They can't jump high enough to get out of the bucket as well as the container so you might be able to just pour out the ones that jump into the bucket of their own free ill.

I personally transfer my crickets into a separate cricket enclosure that they can't jump out of as soon as I buy them, but if you're going through a lot of them fairly quickly that might not be worth the effort.

Edit: If you want to keep them going for a while you'll want to put them in a larger enclosure with decent ventalatiom. Give them somewhere to hide (egg cartons are good), a source of moisture (that they can't drown in) and remember to feed them.

Edited by Ophelia

you guys are so complicated

shake the box once get them off under the egg crate.

open 1 corner of the container over the tank with the lid of the tank open ofcourse.

wait for the winner to walk out of the box and if he wont fall in just let the lid go to push him in. do not do it when he's half way out results is a dead cricket.

when you get to like the last 3 you can put em into a bucket because they dont come off the egg crate even with 5+ shakes(i think they know)

Simon