Coversion of old sump to something totally new

fishbites

I've been hatching a cunning plan that cannot fail..... I hope.....

The old rack I recently refurbished had a weird shaped sump with angled sides and was not workable the way I wanted to set things up.... apart from cutting it up for the spare glass, I have been thinking of turning it into another tank....

Adding lids to cover the angled sides and using the perspex drip tray as a base for a sphagnum moss filled area to plant carnivorous plants seems like a good idea. A small power head in the water below could drive a spray bar to keep the sphagnum wet and the excess would then drip back into the tank (a bit like rain falling) by way of an eco filtration system and watering system for the carnivores.... The overall depth of the water would only be about 22cm but the length of the tank is about 100cm and about 29cm front to back...... total of about 60 litres of shallow water.... the end compartments could have some plants attached to driftwood or rocks and a shallow sand substrate.... as far as I know sphagnum moss shouldn't affect the water or fish too much and the carnivorous plants don't require nutrient rich substrate....

1. Is there anything wrong with this setup anyone can think of?

2. What sort of fish would suit a setup like this? Not necessarily something I would want to be breeding as access to the tank is limited.... maybe just something that looks good and will live in a 6.5 to 7.2 pH.....

newproject.jpg

Thanks guys.... going to get some sphagnum moss today and clean up the sump....

Any ideas on fish or a fish that would suit?

The old sump structure divides the swimming space into 3 (see the red lines in the diagram) so a schooling fish is not totally suitable unless they're small I suppose but one larger fish might be more visual....

Here is the actual sump... you can see the weird shape of it..... the top drip tray is in and sphagnum moss installed - with just two CP's sitting in there for the time being..... I think another bag of moss would work better....

2012-01-15%2015.42.43.jpg

This is an end view - showing the hole for the spray bar hose to go through into the sphagnum moss....

2012-01-15%2015.43.11.jpg

The sump needs a good wash and clean up to remove calcium on the glass (bit of vinegar should work) and then to find somewhere to put it.....