Sanitising / Disinfecting Tanks, Nets & Everything else

mumofthehoarde

I had a sick tank which has now pulled apart and rinsed out. It has been in storage for a few weeks.

What I want to do is make sure everything is sanitise and totally disinfected before rebuilding the fish room. Is leaving it empty after a good scrub out for a few weeks enough?(they haven't been in the sun). Should I wash them out in Betadine, salt water or Netsan to be sure?

Also I was going to set up a permanent net soak bucket to stop cross contamination, with either of those 3 in it. Which is the most perferred and how often do you change the solution?

multicure does little against some diseases.... condy's crystals is one of the cheapest effective net sanitisers around.... keep a bucket in your fish room or hang your nets in the sun to get natural UV rays.....

ps: condy's crystals is neutralised with hydrogen peroxide.....

Edited by fishbites

Medically, the things that are used to kill off any infections are:

a) isopropyl alcohol which when wiped thoroughly over the surface will kill anything it comes in contact with and evaporates very quickly. The sort of neutron bomb of disinfection (leaves everything OK quickly while killing off the inhabitants)

b) hibitane which is a hospital grade disinfectant which again is a extremely effective disinfecting agent but requires heaps of washing out afterwards like any disinfectant. Contains chlorhexidine one of the most widely used and effective disinfectants and germicides. Non-irritant. Controls a wide range of bacteria even in the presence of foreign matter. Get from pharmacist or even pet supply companies

c)Potassium permangante, an extremely strong oxidising agent, which is made up in water to a strength that you cannot see through the water. It stains everything it comes in contact with purple...permanently purple. So that is the disadvantage of the product. Your clothes, skin etc becomes purple on contact and the silicon lining on a tank also turns purple. The weapon of last choice but extremely effective.

I would start with hibitane and then use isopropyl alcohol if need be.

I would not bother with betadine or salt water as a permanent net soak bucket but would suggest hibitance at the recommended dosage changed once weekly.

I use Miltons tabs, they are meant for sterilising baby bottles/teats etc. My logic is that they must be pretty good, strong enough to kill the baddies and but safe to use with something that a baby is going to have in it's mouth.

I am going to go with the sunshine for a few days.

I have individual nets for each tank and I think I will use netsan (cos I have it on hand) once a week. Then I might go with detol

Now any ideas on cleansing expensive plants from a sick tank????? I have tossed the elcheapo ones but a couple fo them was pretty hexxy in price and I dont really want to part with them if I can find a way to deal with them...most of them are on driftwood.