how many people use alternative sources of water?

zhong89

Water source  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of water do you use for your fish?

• Plain old treated tap water
    • Bore water
    • Rain water
    • Recycled water (really?)
    • you walk down to the local creek or river with a bucket every now and then...lol

I have recently found the beauty of using rain water for my fish mixing it with tap water so I still have the minerals that's in tap water just at reduced amounts and occasionally add water conditioner salt to it. But I have to be careful that my water still have the relevant buffers so my pH stays stable and not crash. My fish seem to love the change they're more healthier, my bristlenoses seems to breed more often, even my livebearers seem to enjoy the natural water that I pour into their tank. My wilds are absolutely loving the new water due to it's much more soft than tap water and they're growing big!

So there's pros and cons of having alternative water. Just wondering how many of us is using alternative water source and what do you treat it with to make it useable?

Hi all

It may sound funny but I do go down to the local estuary to get water for the kids brine shrimp. The girls love it when we get the odd glass shrimp (accidentally) in the water. I can put the water straight into the bs containers and they seem to thrive with it.

Tracey

One of my neighbour has this massive water tank that's almost never empty although they have a large vegie patch that they water heavily everyday. I asked if I can use their water and they said yes. So I've being using their water for the last 2 months and almost everything in my tanks are breeding

I got a 220L plastic drum that gets the run off from the garage.

Once it's full I use a 350W submercible pump that i got from bunnings and the water gets transferred to either my outside tanks or directly to the tanks..this is the only time i do a 'water change'