Why wont you grow?

mumofthehoarde

We currently have two spawns still in spawn tanks.

First one is our Blue/Yellow crowntail spawned 18th of Sept

Second is our Salamander Butterfly, spawned 8th of Oct

We treat both spawns the same...same water source..same amount of WC etc. But our Sally babies are now bigger then our CT babies. The CT babies seem to be VERY slow growing. They are still tiny.

Why wont they grow?

Do they have the same number of fry in each tank?

What about feeding? The same amount?

If the crowntail spawn one got more fry, but you feed them the same amount, that'd explain one factor.

Also, are their tanks the same size?

Edited by kertaz

How many fish per litre in the spawn tanks?

Or how big is the tank and how many fish ?

If you have 100 in a 20l tank they are competing for 200ml each.

Try spliting some of the spawn, or put 20 in a 16-20l tank and observe the growth rate:)

I am in favour of the Growth Inhibiting Hormone theory. each fish exudes a hormone to inhibit the growth of the others , so no 1 fish grows bigger.

Edited by somchai2500

they are both in 20l tanks. we have about 15 in each tank. The only difference between the tanks is CT babies have gravel on the bottom and a couple of floating plants in it. We didnt mean to spawn them there ..it just happened. Where as the Sally babies have a bare tank.

Oh crap, I just realised this...there is one other difference...sally's have a small sponge filter in it...could this be the crucial factor???

Edited by mumofthehorde

I'd say sally's tank got cleaner water over time due to the filter, which leads to better growth.

While if it's for 1 or 2 days, it wont make any difference, but over a period of time, it will.

'looks' clean may not be clean as we can't really 'see' what is in the water.

My CTs are the size of a 4 week old and my Sallys are about 5 weeks old according to that chart.

we have tried them on fry powder but they only love MW & VE. I have a good supply of grindals but the babies are still so small, I dont think they could take on a grindal.

also...one of the largest sally babies is chasing another large sally baby...what do I do about that?

Live food, water quality (including daily or every second daily water changes) filtration, stable heat, stable water chemistry (ph carbonate hardness etc)

Go to the LFS and git some brine shrimp cysts - do some research on hatching, try fifteen times, fail a few, and then scream bingo (hatching them is a bugger but it's worth it for the results)

I'd be siphoning the fry into a big 40++ litre plastic storage tub with filtration (who needs big glass tanks?) and a heater.

ditch the gravel - microworms sink and the fry probably aren't getting their dinner before they wriggle to their gravely deaths

feed in a bare bottom tank MW / VE and I'd slowly wean them off - then on to BBS.... then grindals... then adult brine shrimp and chopped live bloodworm - then try to teach 'em how to eat pellets.

Also - kids will be kids - up to you when you Jar, but you might want to think about isolating them as they become aggressive... damaged fins aren't easily sold or repaired at such an early age.

Welcome to betta parenthood.

I would put it down to food going into the gravel I like a bare bottom when spawning as it is easyer to see whats going on down there and any left overs can be cleened up and you have a better control of water quality. But on saying that I do find that different spawns grow at different rates as you are dealing with different lines and genos the only time i would expect to have the same out come is if I had two sib pairs from the same spawn in identical tanks with same amount of fry spawned on the same day if you get my drift

Cheers

les