Putting a pleco in with a betta

Bazzinator

as far as i know i dont have any algae but could be wrong. i just want something to keep the tank clean and i have used them before for this purpose with other bigger fish and it has worked but not sure if there is something i could do to make the tank clean. i did over a 50% water change yesterday and its already dirty so i need something to keep it clean.

its not dirty as in dirt wise but food scraps and the water clarity isnt very good either. i know that feeding amounts effect this but i watch the fish when they eat and there is nothing left when they finish so i can't quite figure it out. about 3 weeks ago i took everything out and gave it a thorough clean and there is no rocks in their for food to get stuck under

Bristlenoses make more mess than what they clean.

How do you 'clean' thoroughly? Wash the filter under tap water? Sterilize everything?

Chances are you'd restart your cycle over again and possibly bacterial bloom.

all that i did was take all the fish out and put in jars drain the water, fill with boiling let it sit for 10 minutes, then empty the water, use dettol to clean all panels rinse off with boiling water again. let it sit for around 40 mins in the sun. before filling with water, bicarb soda and aquarium salts. let it sit for around half hour tested PH levels which sat at 7.1 and put the fish back in after 2 hrs of being out of the tank. but about mid last week the water started to become not very clear and have changed the water twice since and the water goes to a off yellow colour. suggestions

i only did it because my mate with all these plecos did one the week before and all his tanks came up smick so i wanted the same

ok well is there some sort of fish/snail or anything else i could get to help with a water clarity and any excess rubbish food that might be missed and float around

Depending on how heavy you have stocked the tank with, you might need to do perhaps daily water changes until the tank is fully cycled to help keep the ammonia level down. If it's very heavily stocked, definitely 20-30% daily water changes. If it's lightly stocked, then you might get away with 10-30% weekly

There are things that can boost your tank to cycle faster at this stage, such as:

- using bio booster like Sera Nitrivec or Seachem stability

- using filter media from cycled tank

- using gravels from cycled tank