My Girls

hungryemo

My three HM Girls from Jha arrived this morning! I've decided to call 'em Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato (the BLT Sorority) and they're in their jars till I can finish cycling the new tank (and hopefully grab another couple of females to lessen the potential of fights). :cheer:

Oh - and I suck at photographing fish.

Bacon

6259215682_d15e7afd09.jpg

Lettuce

6258688883_76ee9d9257.jpg

Tomato

6258689405_c4fa54cdfa.jpg

6259216790_501fb91e14.jpg

Got 'em right next to my desk so I can stare at them all day. :3

Edited by Hungry Emo

Very nice! When I saw "BLT" in the description - I was wondering if it were Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato - haha, it is! :lol:

They are all lovely. :) Cute BF pattern in Bacon & Lettuce. Tomato is a lovely colour, too.

Edited by Sarah

Yeah - good job!

And I'd have to second the idea of getting more "filler" fish - I have a tank full of ladies now and there is such little damage to any of them it's great.

In the meantime, consider getting some wide leafed plastic/silk plants as the philosophy "out of sight, out of mind" really works - or even better - go get some live plants.

you dont want them taking a comp cos they look sooooooooo gooooooodddddd (havent had lunch, my tummy rumbles)

blt_medium.jpeg

Thanks, guys. I'm so happy with them.

Managed to get a short video of them flaring, really shows off their colours, though the jars kinda distort them a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhdDmqCTPs

Also, I may as well ask this here, how do people do the daily water changes (when they're jarred) without disturbing them too much? I'm no psychic but I predict a frustrated me and a frustrated BLT this time tomorrow. :embarrass:

Also, is it worth putting bits of IAL in there for them or is it pointless considering all the water will be changed out on a daily basis?

Edited by Hungry Emo

If you want to remove them to do water changes, a good way to catch them is to use a cup. I distract my bettas with my fingers and then come up behind them with the cup. The suction pulls them down into the cup and they are usually caught before they know what has happened.

Instead of using and IAL in each jar, you could brew up some leaves on the stove and add a couple of drops of homemade extract to their jars during each water change.

Hi guys, I need some advice on introducing these girls to the tank together.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get anymore girls right now, but I'm anxious about leaving them in the jars for much longer, when there's a nice big tank waiting for them.

Their jars have been sitting next to each other ever since I got them but for the most part, there is cardboard between them, so they don't get too stressed. I've been removing it a lot more frequently and leaving it for longer until I put them back.

They still flare at each and zip around the jar like it's Christmas in July.

When do I know it's safe to put them all into the tank? Should I leave the cardboard off for a whole day and then see if they have calmed down before doing it or should I just bite the bullet and see how they go?

EDIT: I just noticed a couple of weird things about the girls. I've posted their photos here if anyone could help identifying? Link

Edited by Hungry Emo