Floating white dots & tiny snails.....?

SiameseFightingFist

I've got this new tank and a few days ago I noticed little white dots floating about in the filter tray but I didn't think too much about it. The next morning I looked again there a heap more little floating white dots....

The next night I found a couple of tiny little snails on my anubias, I think they hitchhiked their way in. I haven't seen them again though, I'm assuming they're hiding somewhere most of the time.

I looked up the net and found that zebra snails made eggs similar to these, would they be the zebras?

6191913878_b8d1a9a3fd.jpg

6191375299_8265ba8f18.jpg

The incriminating floating white dots:

6191351263_d8f07ddc07.jpg

Edited by SiameseFightingFist

Every time u see one of those snails get it out they took over my tank lol I can pull 10out in a night and find another 5 the next day

The wite dots are interesting never seen them before so can't say much about em I'd remove em just cause there strange white dots lol

Every time u see one of those snails get it out they took over my tank lol I can pull 10out in a night and find another 5 the next day

ah geez am I going to have a snail problem? If they are zebra snails, I read that they can't reproduce or their eggs can't hatch in freshwater so it may be ok I was hoping. I would've been happy to have a couple of them in my tank to keep algae under control (if I had an algae problem, that is).

The wite dots are interesting never seen them before so can't say much about em I'd remove em just cause there strange white dots lol

haha I can't argue with that logic!

As mentioned by everone you have common pond snails? as for the little egg bits are you using purigen or anything in your filter that may have leaked into your tank

Also your plants need fertiliser IMO, if thats an anubius leave it should look a nice dark green

Pond snails have a gel type egg

Malayasian trumpet snail are live bearers and you generally dont see the small ones if you have a substrate.

mystery snails lay a small honeycomb glob above the water line

ramshorn snails I have no idea and hopefully someone can help me on that?

No idea what a zebra snail is and again any help would be apreciated, but will google it

I know of a dicussion about blonde snail? a pond snail to me and I think native to top end of oz?

My guess not snail eggs and it looks to small for verimiculite that I have seen?

Ray

If you do spot em again dont hesitate !

man, these things move fast. I saw one again last night just above the water line, I went to get a drink of something and came back with a tissue to catch it in and it was gone, all within the space of a couple of minutes.

As mentioned by everone you have common pond snails? as for the little egg bits are you using purigen or anything in your filter that may have leaked into your tank

Also your plants need fertiliser IMO, if thats an anubius leave it should look a nice dark green

Pond snails have a gel type egg

Malayasian trumpet snail are live bearers and you generally dont see the small ones if you have a substrate.

mystery snails lay a small honeycomb glob above the water line

ramshorn snails I have no idea and hopefully someone can help me on that?

No idea what a zebra snail is and again any help would be apreciated, but will google it

I know of a dicussion about blonde snail? a pond snail to me and I think native to top end of oz?

My guess not snail eggs and it looks to small for verimiculite that I have seen?

Ray

hi Ray, I looked up purigen - no I have not used it, I bought the tank 2nd hand but I don't believe the previous owner used it either. It only started appeared a few days after I started this tank again.

Also, thanks for the descriptions of the different snail eggs! I'll have an idea of what to look at next time.

Also, thanks about the plant fertiliser, I was at the shopping centre last night, I checked out Pets Paradise but went and bought the VitaPet plant food instead and added a bit of it to the tank. I feel really uncomfortable because although it gives the dosage per litre, it doesn't really describe if the number of plants in the tank make a different to dosage, and I'm always really nervous adding something to the tank that might affect the fish. So I added roughly half the recommended dosage for now.