Big day. :-)

Fletch

After my disasters of late, I did a big clean and revamp. The old divided display tank that I swore I would never breed in again, I removed all the gravel, cut up a sponge filter and blocked all the gaps with it and test ran it. Flow is good and it got me thinking. I know I said slap me if I ever tried again with this tank but if I can contain the fry and keep numbers down, say 40 fish per spawn, why not.

So, I now have the male boy in one side (fry eater) and the sister I unsuccessfully bred with the father. This way I at least find out if she is infertile. Also she suffered no damage so is fit.

The original father has been totally cleaned out and he is flaring madly to a mirror as I type. He will go with proven mother of baby fry (what's not eaten by above male).

In the tank with the first fry eater, I have spotted about 3-4 fry and as I have the tank spare, will wait and see how many show up and if above pairs spawn. If I pull the pin, I am considering the Red Rockets or maybe a blue/red CT with a female black orchid.

Too many options. :-).

Are you serious? Too many options? Try figuring out options when you have around 9 or 10 breeding pairs... :rofl:

Good luck with it all mate. You could always grab a black or red dragon to experiment with a red rocket, black orchid or blue/red CT... *lol*

Oh to be spoilt for choice you must be the only bloke I now that can lay his hands on a decent CT girl there are none hear, so I wish you great succes and maby when the wether warms up you may consider shipping to Perth

Cheers

Les

Overnight, the original father has done nothing while the young boy has blown a nice size nest. Have uncarded him to the girl.

Might put girl with original boy and see if that helps him get his act together. He has not blown a decent nest since I put him in the spawn tank. Had a HUGE one in the display and even last time he spawned it was tiny. :-(

could you try putting in lots of sticks upright giving it a bit of a magrove effect that seems to work with shy Discus it makes them feel safe and they tend not to eat there young it might calm him as well by giving him a different enviroment to cope with

Cheers

Les

Within five minutes of reading your post Jarrod, I had em floating in new tanks. With all my moving around, I can't believe I didn't think of this. Feel like an idiot.

Since the change over, the big boy has started on a nice sized nest. :-)

This morning the original dad has a large nest that he is still adding on. He is much happier in the display tank.

The young boy who blows a nest anywhere has not blown a bubble. I am very confused. Not sure what is wrong with that tank but something is not right. Will leave the young boy in there a few days and see what happens. May chimney a girl as a last resort.

The big boy has built a huge nest. :-)

Thing is, I use a play-dough lid for them to build under, this time he has built his nest AROUND the outside of the lid.

It's only an issue when I need to catch her as once lid removed, bubbles pop and disperse. Guess he will have to clean up afterwards. :-).

Just can't help some people....I mean fish. Lol