Concerned...

luv_my_fish

I wanted to get back into breeding like I did in Sydney, but I'm starting to worry that I won't have anywhere for all of my babies to go. I know over in Sydney it was easy to sell/give away fry, but over here in Perth, I don't think it will be so easy. There is no way that I have enough space to keep them all if I had a big spawn, and there is no way that I could cull any of the fry either. I also don't know how to to ship them interstate.

What do you guys think?

Should I just be happy to start keeping/collecting bettas again, or should I bite the bullet and go with the flow when it happens?

Gee Perth is a big city ..... much bigger than where I am and i got homes for all the fish I breed (except the current batches growing out)..... I'm sure if you start getting to know your LFS's and fish clubs and fish forums there would be some outlets over there - from what I've seen on the internet there's quite an active fish community in the south west of WA.....

Go for it.... "what if's" might not eventuate..... go with what happens instead :)

Edited by fishbites

well ill be happy to take some off your hand:-P lol im trying to get into my forst spawn again. Things are going ok just that they havent spawned yet!!!! lol well im sure the fish shops will be happy to take them off your hands even if its for a very small fee. But i must say been down to Aquarium Artists Australia in Harrisdale and they have some awesome fish. Things that you might only find over east.

Think you might be suprised as to how many people want quality bettas in Perth but are finding them hard to come by.

It's wise to look into these things before you start producing entities that you're ultimately responsible for.

While it's a little bit inevitable that you'll need to cull (deformities, runts etc) for kindness... the survivors will need homes.

Best to start looking at your network of fish shops - if you're just doing it as a hobby, you can offer them for free - or a nominal fee and they can take your excess.

It's probably the responsible move for any active breeder to have worked out where the fish will go.

That's why the Melbourne kids are lucky - we have an active network of enthusiasts, and aquarium societies to give away and promote the fish.

1.) the best ones you either keep for line breeding or sell for top dolla

2.) sell second rate fish and or give away to your fishy friend network

3.) hand over other fish to the LFS - note that they will probably cull what dosen't sell - they are about supply and demand.

Get breeding, nothing like necessity as the mother of invention.

-Ness

My main reason is because I have taken an interest in PKCT's and breeding them, but from my research, to get it right I would need F2 possibly F3 spawns. I guess I just want to know that the 'trials' will have somewhere to go. The good news is, from my research I have found that most of the babies would be longfin/CT because it is the dominant gene. Have I got that right?

I guess there is always the option to give the 'left overs' to an LFS, although knowing me...I'll make room and keep them all :embarrass: :lol: