Woohoo I got FRY!

Mango4Jade

Thats right! I got FRY!...what fry you may ask...

The 1994 Grand Champion AKA (Australian Koi Association) Koi Bloodlines Koi Fry :cheer:

The breeder was so generous and gave me about 100 or so of these fry!

The Koi fry are about 2 weeks old, so they are quite tiny. Most are about 12mm but still got some at about 8mm. The fry are yellowish because they have been munching on bbs :giggle: The fry outcome should be 90% Platnium Ogon (a.k.a Platnium White) and only 10% Yamabuki Ogon (a.k.a Yellow Gold). Since Ogons (metallic pure colours) are my favourite, I wouldnt mind a pond full of them :P

The Father is a similar looking Platnium Ogon:

Posted Image

And the G/Champ Mother a similar looking and much bigger (21 years old and about 80cm):

Posted Image

The fry are feeding mostly of live newly hatched bbs and the smaller fry on powder foods. When live bbs isnt being served they get the frozen bbs :P But, they preferr the live bbs :eadshake:

In a few days time of hardcore feeding, they should atleast double its size. Hopefully I dont have to cull too many :P

Time for some pics.

Close-up of a fry...

Posted Image

A bunch of fry

Posted Image

More...?

Posted Image

Mango :blush:

Question.... Can you have 1 or 2 Koi living in a smaller pond? Also, will the size of the pond determine the size of the Koi??? I have a pond out the back of my house and would love to have a koi in there, there are 8 goldfish presently and they seem to love it. Will the goldfish pose a problem???? Also, what temperatures can they withstand (ie in winter) Thanks G

Koi prefer cool water so winter isnt a problem Unlike goldfish, koi do not release a chemical that may inhibit growth if the water volume is small, they just keep on growing aslong as conditions are right and they are well fed etc. I guess you could have a few while they are small and once they get abit bigger you could sell or trade them in. :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Archived