Licorice gourami or similar to add to betta sorority tank

shadoh

Hi, I am sick of having bare bottomed tanks and was toying around with the idea of adding substrate and planting out my growout/sorority tank. I was also thinking of adding another species for a bit of variety. I would like to get some licorice gourami or something similar, but not sure if the female bettas would pick on them. Any thoughts?

The tank is just under 5 feet long...

You know what is really funny Jarrod? I was only talking to Matty Boy yesterday about making my 3ft (future planted tank) a growout/sorority Betta tank with Licorice gouramis! *lol*

Anyways, from my research and a few helpful suggestions.. it seems a few would be OK. Especially since it will be nice and planted. B)

Haha, I saw this thread, at first I thought I may have made it.. starting questioning my memory. :embarrass:

*lol* Great minds think alike!

I saw some licorice gouramis the other day and fell in love with them. Unfortunately, the only way they will get a fin through the door of my fishroom is if they share with bettas...

You should do a NPT, they will be great for the fry and you will need much lesser water changes. Pm if your interested and I can send you the link to an article I wrote a few months ago :) I thought Sarah wrote it to, I'm thinking of doing the same with my 4 footer lol.

Well we are obviously all geniuse here :P

Yep, the fry also grow faster in my expeiriance, I left 2 guppy fry in one of mine after I removed the rest. With no food the ones I left in there were 3 times th esize after 2 weeks old :)

Hi, I am sick of having bare bottomed tanks

Funny. I'm going the opposite way and about to strip down two planted tanks and make them bare again. Although I might still grow some plants in them in pots. I did have fun when I first planted them though. I just need them bare again now. Will keep all the substrate for when I next get the planted tank urge. Enjoy the journey and you'll take photos of every step, won't you?

I'm not turned off planted tanks. It's just that I want to focus my time and energy on breeding bettas primarily and dabbling in guppies as a sideline. A properly planted tank needs nearly as much maintenance. At least the way I attempt to do them certainly seems a lot of work. Ferts daily, regular water changes, trimming, algae control etc. Bare bottomed tanks are just easier to clean if they're being used for betta or guppy fry. I do keep some plants. I have a few types of mosses, anubias, and a few varieties of java fern. But the tanks they're in are still bare bottomed. Please don't be put off. I think you'll get a lot of pleasure from setting up your planted tanks. I certainly did when I set them up initially. I just thought it was amusing that you're putting gravel in and I'm taking gravel out. If you lived next door we could have just swapped.

Sounds like different strokes for different folks...

I've had 9 beautifully (Low-Fi) scaped tanks with rocks, plants, substrate et al.... and loved knowing that each of my breeding betta have lived in 5 star setups, but "Mon Dieu!"

Keping them scaped beautifully between water changes, and getting them as clean as possible, just wasn't as easy with the bare bottom tanks.

I've succumb to a more "Japanese Zen Garden" approach, with bare bottoms (oooh!) and the occasional pile of strategic rocks and plants (still a big fan of live plants)

Jarrod, go for it!

If the 'scaping bug has a hold - get your fingers wrinkly, I'm sure we'd all love to live vicariously through your enormous tank.

I've just put together my first sorority, and find myself watching the ladies together more than I do my flaring males!

-Ness