Rememberance day.

Goldenblue

I have always been a stickler for Rememberance Day, I have always kept my one minute silence from 11am every year. However, today was the first time I missed it. I was at work and we normally have announcement made by our bosses, but this year they missed it. I was disappointed, but it happens. I did have a think about those men who gave their lives for the sake of freedom, and paid my respects for the sacrifices they made. They were indeed heroes. Lest we forget.

The original hand written poem.....

Posted Image

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

I work in a supermarket and I was dumbfounded at the amount of people that continued their normal shopping as the announcement was made over the PA at 11.00am. But what brought a tear to my eye was an old lady who had obviously missed the announcement and was about to ask me a question, but then the bugle started to play, she just stopped dead in her tracks. We both stood there, total strangers, but in complete harmony. Something I will not forget. Najina

Goosebumps at both the poem and Najina's story. I wish I had heard the bugle. I did observe a minute's silence at 11. I live in what used to be a suburb solely dedicated to families in the armed service and all the streets and parks here are named for theatres of war. I am proud that every day i am surrounded by reminders of these brave people - boys, mostly - who made the ultimate sacrifice for us. I wish we could say it could never happen again.

Archived