Guppy Boy Hassles

GoldenGirl13

I have one beautiful male guppy and 4 girls in my community tank but it would appear that Flash hasn't read the bit in the guppy handbook about sharing the love :giggle: After getting Princess and Poppet both pregnant, Flash has decided that Princess is the girl of his dreams :bighug: He continually chases her and completely ignores the others even if I remove the object of his desire from the tank!! If I put her in the breeder net to give her a break he just follows her around from outside :confused: If I remove her altogether Flash just sits at the bottom of the tank sulks :blink: Poor little Princess is now continually hassled, pregnant and knackered!! Has anyone else come across this with guppies, or am I the only one blessed with an apparently monogamous guppy :lol: Jo

We once had a male guppy who did the same thing.. chased one particular girl. I think it was because she was the biggest, though the least colourful too. :confused:

Hope you can find a solution. *lol*

Edited by Sarah

Have 6 females now (5 of whom may as well be invisible <_< ) and to be honest Joan if I put any more plants in this tank it'll be standing room only :lol: Flash just can't see past Princess :(( As gorgeous as he is I'm thinking it may be time for another boy just to see if he can't be prodded into remembering he's supposed to be a STUD not a STALKER :lol: Jo

Guest KillieCory

Hi there,

Is your harassed female different colour than your other females? The reason I ask is that some male guppies have colour preference in choosing who to mate with!

If she is a different colour to rest of your females (or larger), I suggest getting another female of the same colour. If she is same colour as the others, then I have no idea!!!

Serkan

I agree with Serkan.

It may also be pheromone related.

Try this.

Place one or more females in fresh water that has never had fish before

Next day,put your male in with them.

This method is used in Japan to trigger goldfish.

Edited by JUNGLE

@ serkan & JUNGLE she is smaller and different colour (They are all diff colours!!) and I'll try anything once at least. Have just had 2 females give birth (See post titled OHH!KNICKERS!!) but they were preggers when I got 'em. Have beautiful Ice Blue female and would like some fry from her so we will be giving the sep. tank theory a go when life has settled down a bit.

Thanks guys, Jo