How do i do this?

kurupt

Hi all, i am thinking of purchasing a 9 compartment glass tank, that has room for filter and heater behind it, and it houses 9 bettas.

My question is, is there a way to ensure that if one gets sick then the others wont? thats the only reason why i havent done this already..

Thanks.

Only thing I can say is keep an eye on them. I observe my fish for at least 15 mins every day. I know their characters so easy to pick up on if somethings a bit off like becoming lethargic. If one gets sick take him/her out IMMEDIATELY and put him/her in a hospital tank.

Maybe others have better ideas....

Hmm, any suggestions how i can keep them all displayed together in tanks connected, and be heated and filtered at same time?

I read uv sterilizer but i dont know if that will keep the sicknesses away.

I dont have expensive fish, but i have a nice all black plakat that was hard to find around here, no blue on it what so ever lol..

And a couple other nicely coloured ones that i chose.

I dont want to run 1 heater per tank as ill be paying a fortune in electricity.

Any suggestions? I keep my giant betta in a 30cm tank on its own, but i dont think i can do that for the rest, just too expensive :P

There is no way that you can share water and yet not stop sickness spreading. Physically impossible. Best way is to monitor your fish and remove and that look a bit 'off' just in case they are indeed sick.

Even a UV sterilizer isn't a 100% perfect thing, and they are expensive.

It's no different to any other fish. All fish that share water can pass diseases to each other. You can get total wipeouts of all your bristlenoses yet no one suggests separating them. If you maintain good water quality you'll give your fish the best chance of avoiding disease.

UV sterilisers are pretty good at minimising the risks though. I run a big sucker one on my house because our water is bore water, I have a 72W steriliser for a pond that I use at work on my aquaculture setup (rainbow trout), and a tiny little 7W Jebo one in one of my Betta tanks (the one with my new B. rutilans). What's the configuration of each section in this tank of yours? This is important to know before any useful advice can really be given.

Personally, when you have fish in a community tank disease can spread easily and you just need to be vigilant to ensure conditions don't favour the spread of disease, your fish are healthy, and should disease break out quarantine facilities are available to isolate/treat affected fish . A flow-through system for Betta is no different. Just think of it as a divided community tank and treat it the same way with vigilant observation and have a hygiene/health protocol to follow (i.e. have a q-tank for new fish, never add water from an lfs to your tanks, a hospital tank for sick ones, keep tanks clean, don't overfeed fish, do regular water changes, reduce stress, etc).

The tank im wanting to get im not sure of the dimensions, but would be around the same size as the aquaone betta barracks compartments, just a bit wider and shorter. My fish are all healthy at the moment, and have had them all for a while now, all over 1 month, the water has been changed numerous times and they look fine to me, never had a sick one before lol.

Would it be safe putting these healthy fish into a setup that shares the water? What kind of sickness can they develop? If its from poor hygiene then they should be fine, as im usually on top of everything when it comes to cleaning and feeding.

Thanks.