Stop picking on him!

fishfin

My 215 litre community tank was going so well. All my fish living in harmony, no bullies other than the pregnant b*tch balloon mollie. Her attitude is kind of comical to be honest with you. :blink:

All of a sudden, the school of 6 rummy nose tetra's have taken to attacking Fin, my gorgeous Betta. He has become so afraid that he now spends a good part of his time hiding. He used to patrol the front of the tank all day but now the rummy nose have him spending most of his time hiding. They nip at him and chase him with such attitude.

Why would the balance in the tank suddenly change? They were all friends and now I'm not sure what to do.

How do you deal with a gang of bullies??

rummy nose tetras are cousins of the piranhas..... as Bettarazzi says - they're acting true to type - nippy fast little fish with an attitude! Fin just isn't fast enough to get away so he hides instead.

You could always try a few more rummy noses - not sure if they would be like barbs - barbs are pains in the fin when in small groups or individuals but in a large group they seem to keep to themselves. I have about 50 rosy barbs and their fry in my pond and they never bother the goldfish or nip their fins to destruction but have had them in tanks on their own and they annoy every other fish to distraction.

I'm really afraid to try adding more rummy nose in case I have them all after Fin. It's bad enough watching a school of 6 chase him down.

I just don't know what to do and catching those fish is almost impossible in my tank. We tried to remove them last night so that they could go into the QT tank but that was a joke. All the 'other' fish were swarming around the net, but the rummy nose knew we were trying to catch them and wouldn't come near it! :blink: