How do male bettas fertilise eggs?

fishish

I did google this awhile ago but failed to find a conclusive answer. It's still nagging at the back of my mind so now i really need to know! :P

Great if anyone can provide insight.. thanks :)

Edited by fishish

When a boy betta and a girl betta love each other........

and the boy fish wraps his body round the girl fish in the right way..... the girl fish releases her eggs ... and the boy fish....... I'm sure you can use your imagination from there :)

lol :P ok so they're fertilised as they're released by the female? which means the eggs the male is collecting have been fertilised? no need to be prudish now, its all in the name of science ;)

Edited by fishish

Fertilisation could be unsuccessful if the eggs or sperm are themselves infertile. And it's probably not beyond the realms of possibility for the pair to be a bit uncoordinated in their release so that fertilisation of some or all of the eggs doesn't actually occur.

Paul,

Probably depends on the amount of water they are in at the time - in a large tank possibly not at all but if they are in a very small amount of water there's a possibility...

take goldfish for example - when they spawn in even a 2ft tank the milt can turn the water cloudy.... but they can release thousands of eggs too...

bettas are much smaller and don't release that amount of eggs or milt so I'm guessing the chances are a lot smaller for eggs to be fertilised by chance....