'Purple' PK from LFS :)

delyall

Hiya :D

Bought this lil' guy for my mother, I keep trying to get her interested in my fish so she wont be so annoyed when I spend so much on them :P He was meant to be a girlie for my sorority.. but once I took him home I realised 'she' was a 'he' :wacko: ... But I suppose I would have bought him anyway, I love his bright colour :P

What would you call his colour? Its a bit too confusing for me :)

Mother called him 'Pirate', because he's purple-y and Pirates of Penzance and purple pants... *sigh* Strange mother :P

He's just as small as my first LFS PK, so Im hoping he'll grow and look as awesome as him :P

pirate2.png

pirate.png

Very cute! I like the little flecs of iridescence in his face looks like little jewels :wacko:

So did you realise she was a he before you added him to the sorority tank? (on an off-post matter, how many litres is your sorority and how many girls/fish do you have in there? - im currently setting mine up and am interested in what others do :) )

I would say either a bi-colour fish (red& blue) as i have read that "purple" fish are actually red with a blue iridescence OR a blue fish with red wash. Hopefully someone with more experience can let us both know 100& :P

He was actually in the sorority for a few hours before I noticed *stupid me* But he wasnt causing any fuss, he was acting like any of the other girls :wacko:

My sorority is 150l with 4 females in it (did have 8 before dropsy killed two and I had to move the other two for 'safety') The tank also has some mollies in it, Im going to add more fish once the tank settles more :) And Im going to keep some females if I ever have a successful spawn :P

His colour is really odd.. I cant pick if he's some sort of blue or red, and then he has that odd clear patch on his head, and maybe even a lil butterfly pattern (the white edges on his anal and bottom of his caudal).. I only know basic colours, so its too advanced for me :P

Edited by delyall

Well at least he didn't cause any fuss before you realised! :wacko:

Mine is 43L and planning on 7 females.. if there is any fuss i can remove the problem childen lol your's is alot larger though! i won't be having other types of fish though apart from 2 corys I have heard someone mention that 20L is fine for 10 females but that seemed way too small for me.. i will see how they go :)

Sorry about your females :P

oooh he is very pretty! I have a certain soft spot for 'purple' fish. I actually saw some deep purple females at my favourite fish shop which Im hoping they will stock again when I get set up.

glad he didnt cause any trouble with the girlies (possible ladies man?)

good luck with him he is very nice! :lol:

He's got lovely colouring! But he looks like an unsprouted VT to me though.

There's just something about the ray's, body and anal fin shapes that make me think of a VT rather than a PK.

Lots of LFS see a 'short finned' fish and just go "female" and throw them in a tank together. I have a real ball at my LFS when they get their order of 'females' in and sit there picking out the PK and HMPK males...sometimes if the 'female' is an impressive HMPK male I just buy it as a 'female'. $4.95 opposed to $12.95....their ignorance costs them $8 and fair enough I say.

I spose time will tell, and in the mean time you have a lovely little fishie! Nice find

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you thank you :D

The 'purple' bettas are adorable :D Im glad you like my lil' guy :(

A VT you say? Hmm, thatll be interesting :D I suppose time will tell, his fins havent changed as of yet :)

Any idea on what his colouring would be called? I still have no idea .. :)