Community tank compatability questions

delyall

Hiya,

Im really only used to bettas, but I just bought a 150l tank (last one.. I swear.. <_< ) and thats too large to divide up for my bettas, so I wanted to try having a community tank :)

I have a 'wishlist' and I believe theyre compatible fish.. and I have enough filtration for them all.. but wanted to hear what any of you had to say :)

6x dwarf gourami

1x BN

4x corydora

4x platy

6x female betta

I got tank stocking information from here - http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?Aqu...archMode=simple Very handy site :)

wow, thats not a lot of fish in a 3ft!

they will all be fine together, just watch the dwarf gouramis, depending on which ones you pick, some can be nippy as such.... we have 2 coral blue 2 dwarf and 2 red honey dwarves one tank by themselves, they are fine.... when they were with tetra they would stalk them....

BN you will hardly see lol.

the cories.... they will be fine aswell, just watch the BN doesnt get too big and start bossing them around...

female fighters should be fine!

what are you using as substrate - plants etc? Even though I have a "small fish" community, they do get boring.... I am no longer replacing any of my tetra/barbs in my tank just so I can deplete them and get a rams/apisto tank.... much more colourful and they are funny characters!

Thats good :) Then I dont have to worry much if I have an impulse moment and buy another fish for the tank :)

What about mollies? I saw some beautiful ones at a LFS today, and I have to admit I really want some <_<

Thank you for the advice :D

I have just basic black gravel and Im going to have it planted with probably ambulias, java ferns and anything else I cant kill :)

Don't get Kribs, hun!!! Dooooooooooon't dooooo iiiiiiiiit!!!

On another note. They /should/ be fine with one another. As Chris said, gouramis can be nippy and aggressive sometimes so keep an eye on them.

I dislike mollys... xD I'd watch those with your female fighters... Female fighters can be aggressive to one another but they are really peaceful with other fish... Unfortunately, other fish won't always play nice with them... No idea why.

You could also try some schooling fish like Harlequin Rasboras or Cardinal Tetra... :P

Well Ill definitely keep an eye on them :P I did know that mollies and gouramis can get nippy, but Im only considering them because of the large tank :P I should be able to make lots of hiding spots :P Ill look into adding some cardinal tetras, nice to have a lot of colour :D

@force fed good luck :D I hope you can share some pics when you get them :D Im a sucker for pics :P

what gouramis are you going to look into? if dwarves are by far the prettiest I find, If I could be bothered Id get you a picture of my pair of honey's..... they are in full colour as always when the light is on.

as for new fish - videos will probably be made LOL

www.livefish.com.au seem to have a good range, not sure what they are like to buy from though - been toying with the idea for some time LOL

Red Honey Dwarf, Honey Dwarf, Flameback Dwarf, Coral Blue Dwarf, Dwarf Gourami..... there are heaps you can pick! I haven't seen the reds come up on full colour yet which I am waiting for..... mum's tank just isnt bringing it out as fast as mine does!

My community tanks, from 50L thru to 200L have:

1 Male Betta, plus

Mollys

Platys

Cories

Bristlenose

Guppies

and even Tiger Barbs

Haven't had any nipping or bully problems bar one single juvie Tiger Barb that was removed. Oh, also had some Neons but after losing x 2 to the male Betta they were sent to another tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi delyall

I have purchased from livefish.com.au (they are in Childers) I have had 3 deliveries from them (4th on the way!). One lot had a few dead fish and they gave me a credit and I was able to replace them the next time I ordered. The other shipments had no troubles - all fish healthy and well packed.

I chose to do online because I like Loaches and the LFS here (Mackay) only seem to have Clowns and Kuhlis. Livefish have a flat rate delivery to anywhere in Aust. They also have fish food and plants.

Thanks :( But the fish Im looking at are pretty basic, most lfs near me have them :( And from what I see, theyre a fair bit cheaper than the online ones :(

I have setup my tank though, and so far I have 4 female bettas (did have 8, but had to separate 2 for 'safety' and another two have dropsy :) ) 4 sailfin mollies and a little BN :P Im gonna be getting more fish once the tank settles in a bit better :)