Green or Blue, Blue or Green - what does it all mean?

Hi All :)

Ok so i have been browsing Aquabid(and doing a little purchasing too :) ) and i come across many fish labelled "blue" that look green to me and vice versa. Is there something i am missing on how the colour is graded?

- Julie Confused

LOL, glad I'm not the only one that ends up cross-eyed over that very same issue. I gave up & just went with the fish I liked & I've not had a single disappointment, they've all been spectacular.

Having said that though, after importing several I think I'm happier buying direct from someone, it's great being only 10 mins away from her shop. Keep an eye out for her stock on youtube, easy if you subscribe to her channel.

The blues and greens are difficult to photograph. The colour looks different depending on how the fish has been lit for the photo. If the flash hits at some angles the colour can look completely different. This doesn't help you as someone choosing fish from a photo. I guess you're just going to have to go with your gut. Sometimes looking through that sellers other photos might give you a clue as to how the colours vary. If you want something specific for breeding purposes you could always just send the seller a message and ask. If you're looking through photos to try to learn what those colours look like, that's not the best. Real life is the better way to observe the iriidescent and metallic colours.

It was confusing i thought i was missing something but i guess different light and i already knew photos with a flash can make such a difference to some fish :)

I'm glad everything is clearer now!

I think breeders should show a pic of the fish they are selling without a flash/strong unatural light as well.