Plant ID please!

03052010001.jpg

Can take better photo's if needed. It's really fast growing (I started out with 3 small plants) and creates pups without me even noticing. I think it's wisteria but need a conformation.

Thanks

Edited by Fighters4U

Water Sprite for sure.

When I was a teenager everyone kept water sprite.

Guppy enthusiasts thought that if water sprite was thriving,the water would be suitable for guppies.

The floating leaves and roots are great for Bettas and their fry to feed and hide among.

Went thru a period of being seen as a weed.

Awesome, Thanks guys. I just thinned a heap of it out of my tank. It was blocking too much light from the java fern, christmas moss and amazon swords.

I think I might have to add it to the list of breeding aides I sell coz I've just removed around 8 plants and there's still heaps in there!

• 2 months later...

It's Indian Fern:

Ceratopteris cornuta

Family: Pteridaceae

Also known as:

[ Common ] Oak leaf water sprite

[ Scientific ] Pteris cornuta

Region: Pan Tropic

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=52

Such a great plant for Bettas when floating.

Sometimes confused with Watersprite:

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Family: Pteridaceae

Also known as:

[ Common ] Sumatra Fern; Oriental water fern, Water sprite

[ Scientific ] Acostichum thalictroides

Region: Pan Tropic

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=53

Edited by discofish

Some of the taxonomists don't recognize cornuta as a distinct species and some call it a subspecies (i.e. Ceratopteris thalictroides cornuta). Never heard the name 'Indian Fern' used for it before - very misleading for a plant with a pan-tropical distribution. I've always seen it called broad leaf water sprite.

Some of the taxonomists don't recognize cornuta as a distinct species and some call it a subspecies (i.e. Ceratopteris thalictroides cornuta). Never heard the name 'Indian Fern' used for it before - very misleading for a plant with a pan-tropical distribution. I've always seen it called broad leaf water sprite.

Common names are often misleading.

As a kid in NSW it was always know as Indian fern but that was the late 70's and 80's.

I remember my Gourami loved swimming under it.