Whats wrong with the Goldfish!

bettasbest

Hi All,

My sister currently has 2 goldfish, recently one of them has started rubbing itself against the pebbles in the tank almost like grating its fins so it appears red raw - i immediately thought ich(i must admit i dont know much about it) but i have read the biggest indicator of this is white spots on the body and hers doesn't have any.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Julie :D

Hello Julie. This behaviour is referred to as "flashing". Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is usually the result of a parasitic infestation such as "ich" or gillfluke in the host fish. Check the fish carefully for small white spots with a magnifying glass if you cannot see any without one. You will need to treat the whole tank to medicate effectively. For a suitable cure may I suggest you do a forum search, (on this forum), for "ich" or "white spot" treatments. Please also note this behaviour may sometimes be caused by stress due to unfavourable water conditions- i.e. ammonia build-up, water-borne toxins-such as those which may be released by resin ornaments, some plastic plants, painted rocks or the addition of untreated tap water. More information regarding tank volume, size and age of the fish, feeding regime, food variety and water maintenance will be helpful for the purpose of further assistance from forum members with your enquiry. Cheers, -Brad.

Hi Brad,

I will be visiting her tomorrow so i will take a closer look. I think the tank conditions could possibly be the issue. She has had them for maybe 6 months and they are both in a bowl approx 4 litres - she does weekly water changes but the water always seems greenish - like with algae, which i think is cause of the size and no filtration which is why the other day (previous to finding out about the recent "flashing - which has only been going on a few days) i went and bought her a 15 Litre tank with a filter. She is going to be changing them over on the weekend which will hopefully help with the current issue and make them happier little goldfish. They are both still very active - including the "flashing" fish. I was thinking i might give my sister some Indian Almond Leaf to put in them to help them heal? ( i orginally bought it for my bettas) Would you recommend the IAL with Goldfish? I think there might also be a plastic plant in with the goldfish - i will get her to take this out and replace it with some pretty green live plants from my tank.

Thanks alot!

Julie

Hi Julie, thanks for the further info. The larger tank is essential to these guys survival. 4 Litres is way too small for even one goldie...(they are remarkable survivors). The algae would be due to an excessive buildup of nitrates, and this would likely be the cause of the flashing as it will irritate and stress the fish. Please do keep a look out for white spots though just in case. Almond leaf will help to condition the water and most users believe it has beneficial antibiotic /antibacterial proprties, though it will not cure a disease, just lessen the likelyhood of one occurring. I love goldfish, but they are about the "dirtiest" fish around when it comes to waste, so regular tank maintenance is essential for their health. The smaller the tank the more frequent maintenance required. Live plants are good as they will introduce some oxygen to the environ and help to remove ammonia and nitrates. The filter will also be beneficial. Keep substrate to an absolute minimum in a small tank to lessen the likelyhood of anaerobic bacterial blooms and the subsequent problems associated with this occurrence. Please tell your sister of the finer details of water aging and dechlor ("prime" is great stuff). As with any fish a varied diet is essential, even chuck in freshly swatted flies, mozzies and small spiders -they love them. Let us know how it all goes, cheers, Brad

and the cardinal rule (IMO): don't let her overfeed them. The less you feed, the less ammonia, and in turn the less nitrate. Assume a fish's stomach is as big as its eye and only feed as much as it would take to fill its eye (yep, not much) once a day or every 2 days (no, it isn't cruel - the fish will thank you for it by improved health and vitality. "Controlled starvation" has been proven to extend the lifespan of many organisms).

Agree with Lisa on the feeding of goldfish.... mine in the pond go without prepared foods for over a week at a time - but they then munch on duckweed and elodea which I'm sure is better for them.... Also have rosy barbs in there and they get the same treatment as do several bettas who are at home in the pond eating whatever falls in there.... all are healthy.... in a tank - withhold commercial foods and try putting in some hydrilla or elodea or duckweed for them to graze on from time to time....

Thanks Brad, the goldfish will be going in there new tank today so hopefully this will help the "flashing" fish to recover and keep them happier and healthier in the longrun! :)

I did have a look at the fish and didn't notice any white spots - next time i go over i will have another good look just to make sure.

Lisa, i know about the eye/stomach thing but her goldfish(ive never had any) always seem hungry! is this just goldfish?

Fishbites thanks for the hydrilla link i have just purchased some - and a few other types - i tend to go a little nuts on the online plant sites!

On another note in regards to feeding about a 2 weeks ago i added 2 mollies - they are really pretty multiciloured ones - esp the male! to my tank which i have had for 5 years at least(wow time flies) it's 28L and for about 6-12 months or so i have only had 1 black widow tetra in their(i have had him for probly 4-5 years and he is happy actually seems happier with them in there. The mollies eat so much! i was giving my tetra a couple of flakes per day and the mollies dont seem satisfied with even 5 flakes each(if not more) and they have been nibbling at a few of my plants(actually totally devoured some!) is this normal for mollies? should i feed less or leave it as it is and expect them to eat my plants too?

Thanks for everyones help/advice with the goldfish issue - i will update with their progress :D

Julie

Wayne, you are an amazing font of information! I had never heard of Hydrilla.

Aww gee Lisa... :) Actually I hadn't either till I was told about it by someone (forget who).... Pisces Enterprises wholesale it and there's a few online shops with it too... I've just ordered some at my LFS to try it out in the pond....

Hope the hydrilla goes well for you Julie... re the goldfish always looking hungry... yes they do... they are great con merchants... feed them and five minutes later they will be begging again for food and acting like they haven't eaten for weeks.... Lisa's comment is very accurate about them being the labs of the aquarium - they play on your sympathy and are damned good at it!!!! :D

Edited by fishbites

Just to let you all know the goldfish effected is now almost 100% back to bright orange (with no red "flashing" marks!) :wub: It recovered well/really quickly! It has only been in the new tank for about 5 days!

It looks like it was the small tank/water quality.

Thanks Brad and everyone one else for your help/advice :(