4foot tank- filter?

ninoid12

Ok, so i am now the proud owner of a "BIG" tank, rather than the small 1-2ft ones for my bettas :P

I am planning to have swordtails, neons, guppies and maybe platties or somethin like that. Nice, colourful community fish. I also hope to have it heavily planted with live plants of different types.

What i was wondering is, what type of filtration is best for this tank?

I have never had anything this big. I would prefer not to have an ug. I cannot afford a canister, plus it is fairly ugly as i dont have a cabinet only a stand so cant hide it.

I was thinking an internal filter. But there are SO many out there. And everywhere i read tells me a different power (litres/min) for that size, or any size for that matter!?!

Ideally, i would like to pay no more than $50 for the filter. Less preferred. I am happy to buy off ebay, or secondhand, if its not a dodgy one that will break easily.

Any comments welcome.

cheers,

~nina~

iv run internals sucessfuly in 4fts you just need to make sure you keep up your warer changes. 2 in a tank that size would be better of course, one at either end. buy the biggest litre an hour you can for your money. im using 1800l/H in 3 footers without any problems so 2000 plus would be good for you as a minimum.

It also depends on your bio load, if you dont overstock you will be fine.

I have two large sponge filters in my three foot tank. Either end. I dont mind them, but prefer an internal

Is there a calculation for what litres/min you should go by?

I have been told anything from 500-1,000 for this tank. Never been suggested two filters at either end, good idea! (seem so dumb, but its such a new thing having a four footer lol)

lol thanks, i dont PLAN to overstock. And i am pretty good at remembering water changes.

If i were to get two internals, what size? Obviously i want it to clean waste etc. But i dont want the poor fishies to be in an ocean of waves! lol

(thats why i mentioned the types of fish i plan to have, as i know some like it rougher than others ;) )

im running 2 big warerfall types on my 5ft but it only houses a few fry and 6 small fish. The rest im running sumps.

i just went and checked what iv got on my smaller tanks and their 800L/H on 2 footers and 500L/H on 35-40 litre tanks, mind you these tanks are single species breeding tanks with only 2 fish. And they have a 20% water change once every week. I should add these are tangyalikan cichlids that water quality is imperitive to be clean and polished. And i have had no problems and have lots of fry.

Edited by pilchard

Thanks pilchard. Its amazing what bull***t you are told at places, or read online. You gotta ask ppl that USE the stuff ;)

More comments, ideas etc all welcome.

As are actual brands/types suitable for what i want.

Planning to set up this wk, so need info asap :)

As are actual brands/types suitable for what i want.

Iv used ebay bought and LFS bought they probebly cost me about the same after postage etc. i have about 5 brands and they all seem to be as good as each other. Some have been running for 4 years without a hitch. make sure you get one with a spray bar ( most come with one ) as it breaks up the flow and softens the buffering effect. i run my bars jets at a 45 deg angle and dont seem to have many problems. only in one tank did i have to drill out the holes another 1mm to lesten the effect, but it was a Very small tank 13in cube with a 500 on it.

The other thing i did see today was a 250L/H internal waterfall, interesting. It was $50.00. youd need 2 of them though.

In my 4ft tank I have a 2200l/hr internal power filter with a home made spray bar on it to stop the current blowing the fish away - works pretty well... the spray bar is just made from some poly pipe with an adapter on the end that I connect to the power head with a piece of plastic hose. There is a guy on ebay selling them for about $16 (search for internal water pump should find him) The one I have hasn't missed a beat for over 6 months. If you want better quality you can get an Otto 2000 for around $80-90 and do the same thing.

Canister filters are quite good i personally prefer them as they offer IMO alot as far as filter media diversity, biological filtration and keeps your tank looking neater and less cluttered you can get cheap one's off of here http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/i...ters/cat_6.html. But like i said its more of a personal preference. If your do decide to go with a canister filter i would be aiming 1500lph+ or if you have the money get an eheim 2217 or similar

HTH

Connor

That 2200 on guppys looks good connor, i might have to invest in one, and then a tank to put it on and then some fish to fill it LOL Just saw the 2600 it looks even better. And BLOODY well priced.

Edited by pilchard

Yeah mate its cheap for what it is, it even has UV built in, So go for it mate i have even got some fish for you to put in it( German bred blue acara breeding pair or if you read your PM ;) on Aquaholics you can get some endlers ). Also with canister filter you can get your heaters, UV sterilizer and CO2 all in-line some your tank can be completely hardware free if you like.

Edited by connor

I would consider a canister but they look ugly if you dont have a cabinet (imo).

I will head down to the lfs this wk see what they have. Might be able to swap a few cbn fry or bettas to get a discount ;)

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it

oh, with the 2200 you have in the tank, isnt the current too strong? I would love to have some fry grow up in the tank (if they dont get eaten lol) but worried it will be hard current.

Thanks also for the spray bar tip. Never had a filter with one, didnt realise how good they are.

Nina the current from the 2200 is dissipated by having a 4ft spray bar with 5mm holes in it - one set of holes sprays return water across the surface, another set sprays water down the back wall and another set of holes sprays the water directly at the back wall - this really reduces the effect of one strong current streaming up the side of a tank and back down the other. I put the spray bar on to stop the fish getting blown away.

lol you'd have to, thats what i was worried about. Poor fishies would be fighting a neverending battle!

Hmm. A four-foot spray bar....

What is the smallest l/m i could get away with, without needing a 4-ft spray bar? I am not good at making things lol. Id prefer to have just the normal spray bar.

If i did the maths correctly, is my tank around 250litres? standard 4ft. That means i would need around 1300-1500?

or, realistically, should i get two 500s or two 800s? either end? (then theres the poor powerboard with MORE stuff lol)

ARGH this is so much work! i know it will be worth it once its set up....

I've run Otto twin power sponge 800's - the force of their pumps reach about half way and then tail off towards the other end - angle the outlets up and towards the walls and you will get a circulation that the fish can tolerate quite easily.