Returning fish

Chasing Sanity

I bought a pair of Rachu goldfish from my LPS on Wednesday, and one has died. From the look of it it's swallowed some gravel that's way to big to pass. Now, my gravel is simply too big for the fish ,at their present size, to swallow. He wasn't very happy after I brought him home, was eating but never pooing and very lethargic. I gave him peas for a few days in hope that would help. The other one is perfectly fine and they came from the same tank at the LPS. Now, seeing as they are $15 fish I feel I should take him back and get another one. Do people do that?

I've seen my LFS person give replacements if a person brings a fish back dead within a few days - they usually ask questions to find out what might have killed the fish and then either educate the person if they did something wrong or just replace it if it could have been a stress or other reason for death.

They have done this even for a $1 neon tetra once! But then he is very much tuned towards looking after his customers...

It's worth a try with your fish given what you said about it.

oh definitely try!

How did you come to the gravel conclusion? can you see gravel in it? have you done an autopsy? im not doubting you, but it would be good to prove to the lps.

Anyhow, take the fish in (and take the gravel in that you have in your tank and keep it ready in case you need to show it) and your receipt if you got one.

Explain how you believe it died, maybe comment asking have they seen the fish at their store nibbling at the gravel or anything, and firmly but politely ask if they can please replace this fish with another the same sort. Check the new fish out, make sure it appears ok. Even if you think it looks fine, make extra time to show the lps that you mean business and are not taking them for a ride.

Hope this made sense. It does in MY brain lol :giggle:

iv seen the same thing , especially when i was younger, Theyll tell u something along the lines of.....

PH of 7 is 100 times more alkaline than PH of 6.9 and thats what killed them. BULL s#it.

i have had fish for most of my life, 25 of my 30 years and dad had fish for many years before that.

usually when a shop tells u it was your fault they knew there was a problem with the stock or they cant explain it.

The water from your tap isnt much diferent to mine, also isnt any diferent to theirs.........

buy from a reputable dealer like TANK Aquariuns or Krempins........

pilchard, Darwin is a horrible place to be a pet owner. We rely on the bigger chain pet shops for more or less every thing. We have Petbarn, Pet's village and 2 local owned businesses (3 stores)

I don't know for sure it's gravel, but given how he's swollen that's what I'm thinking. It's not dropsy. The guy who sold them to me is the guy I deal with on a regular basis, so he knows how well I care for my fish! I can get a picture of him if you guys want to look.

Were lucky in that respect we have several good aquariums in Newcastle as well as the chain stores.

there shouldnt be a prob returning it even if it was a chain store, just put your case forward and see how it goes.

Let us know how it all turns out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

am assuming you mean the BAG broke and the fish ate the cardboard??? Hard to believe! Regardless of reason at least you have a replacement.

Yes - most people are on the same water supply as the shop - but in many cases the water in home tank is way different to that at a shop.

While a fish can adjust to low pH and high waste slowly over a long period of time (ie a tank that is not cleaned or water changed) any new stock dropped in will suffer shock.

Ranchu and other short bodied goldfish have many gut problems due to their deformed shape. Always ensure the food is wet before feeding and give lots of fibre rich foods.