Suggestions for new tank...

fishbites

I've just taken delivery of a second hand tank I couldn't resist... 6ft long x 2ft deep x 3ft high... about 1000litres....

The trouble now is... I have no idea what I'm going to put in it! It came with a lot of coral sand and rocks which would be great for African cichlids... but to breed them in a tank like that would be impossible .... It would make a great growout tank for a thousand juvies I guess but I really want to do something with it so it looks good...

I've thought about:

African cichlids... could take a lot of different species in schools and would be colourful and very active...

American cichlids... not as colourful but grow larger and look good in a big tank....

Tetras.... large schools of different tetras would look great but very small fish in a big tank...

Angels... I think a tank full of angels would look great but if they decided to pair up there could be blood in the water....

Planted tank... would look great but to get light through 3ft of water would be very expensive

Marine would look impressive but would cost a fortune to setup with enough coral, rock and fish...

With it came a canister filter, 2 x 2000l/hr Otto internal filters, single 6ft light, a huge piece of driftwood 5ft long, 2 x 300W heaters and a 70l/hr air pump plus a few other bits and pieces so setting it up will be no probs...

I still have to clean it up a bit and get it up on its stand so I have a bit of time before I start setting it up (probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks)

I'm looking for ideas before I just go ahead and fill it up and start randomly putting fish in there... Any suggestions as long as they're not rude would be appreciated....

Go lake tangs, shellies up both ends or one in the middle too 3 diff species LOL A pait of alto comps school of C. leptosoma or cordo puncs and flavapinnis for the bottom,

im not the best to give advice iv got a thing for tangs at the mo lol

I'd love to see a blackwater Angel tank. Lots of driftwood, and maybe some banana lillies breaking the surface (so light penetration isn't such an issue).

OR you could do a brackish native tank - sand, driftwood, and archers, scats, salmon cats, tandanus cats, saratoga ... maybe not all, but some! Or some good sized rainbows.

Another set-up I'd love to try is a driftwood tank with a big school of silver dollars. Would that be up your alley? They look really impressive when they are big, and numerous!

never thought of going native... saratoga, archers, scats... could be interesting....

Silver dollars are pretty flashy... A friend of mine has 4 in a tank with a pair of really large silver sharks, keyhole cichlids and several discus of all things! They seem happy together but just don't look like they go together... but a school of a dozen large silver dollars would look good....

still not sure though....

Go reef, young man!! Reef tanks are frickin' awesome and don't actually require as much work as you might think... A tank of those dimensions would be just perfect. You could spread the costs over a year or two and have a serious set up in the end...

DOOO EEET!! :D

Edited by Ghengis

A friend of mine has just done a smaller 6ft reef tank... he already had the tank and cabinet and has spent over $4000 on lighting and equipment so far - not counting what's going in the tank! But you're right... a reef that height would be pretty damned nice....

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't got it set up yet Nina.... been too bush with work at the moment.... I'm tempted to go with colonies of mbuna - will give a lot of colour and activity.... not sure they will use the height of the tank though. That will leave the 4 foot tank inside as a Tang tank perhaps - well thats the thinking now... will probably wait till I finish work at Christmas to do anything major rather than trying to rush things on the weekend. Might even get the broken 5x2x2 fixed and setup then too if I can find some 12mm glass for the right price.

If you go with silver dollars, (i don't know much about these fishes or their compatability) maybe you could put in some clown loaches. Saw some at the LFS and it looked really impressive. All the fish were really big and beautiful.

japelno - clown loaches are my snail killers - got a team of them working in another tank at the moment cleaning up those pesty rams horn snails. Only trouble with clowns as they get bigger they get lazier and just wait for normal fish food instead of hunting snails! They are really good to have in a school though so when (if) I get rid of my snail problems I'm going to have about 8 lazy clowns to go into the big tank probably.

• 4 weeks later...